8 Hydro Sponge V's only filtration for 360 gallon

inline4

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
These are supposedly for tanks up to 125gal. I already have 2 in a 40 gallon grow out.

What if I used 8 of these sponges as the only filtration for a 360 gallon? One every foot. You think it would work?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
These are supposedly for tanks up to 125gal. I already have 2 in a 40 gallon grow out.

What if I used 8 of these sponges as the only filtration for a 360 gallon? One every foot. You think it would work?

I think they will work with proper maintenance of the aquarium and sponge filters.

Reactions: inline4

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
That all depends on the bioload and how clean you want it to look. Sponges can handle some bioload for sure and they also do great at polishing water. They lack mechanical capabilities for even a medium bioload in large tanks though. It could be clean water but the tank would likely look pretty dirty.

inline4

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
I will have about 9 bichirs, 1 black aro, 2 orino pbass, and one datnoid.

I've never really cared for a polished look. Lean more towards electric efficiency. I can have the whole system running on one huge air pump at less than 20w.

Reactions: tlindsey

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
Heck, put a powerhead on the 2 hydrosponge filters on the end back corners and leave the rest air powered. You be HIGHLY surprised how much dirt and "muck" these hydrosponges can pull when "turbo powered" with a good 300gph (or more) powerhead (ask me how I know).

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Heck, put a powerhead on the 2 hydrosponge filters on the end back corners and leave the rest air powered. You be HIGHLY surprised how much dirt and "muck" these hydrosponges can pull when "turbo powered" with a good 300gph (or more) powerhead (ask me how I know).

How do you know?

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
It may work with small fish where there isn't large mechanical waste removal needed....but I cant be the only one thinking that it would look awful! lol

Reactions: inline4

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I think they will work with proper maintenance of the aquarium and sponge filters.
Hello; yes to this.

They lack mechanical capabilities
Hello; This is correct to a large degree.
Lean more towards electric efficiency. I can have the whole system running on one huge air pump at less than 20w.
Hello; I ran tanks very much this way for a couple of decades back a few years. I used only air pumps to operate a variety of filters. Sponge type, HOB type, in tank type and the tried and true UGF (under gravel filters). All on air pumps. In fact I currently have two tanks on UGF's and one with a HOB air operated type.
The mechanical filtration part will be you. During WC using a siphon the detritus can be removed. As stated the sponge can hold a lot of fine material. I have squeezed a lot of stuff from them many times.

....but I cant be the only one thinking that it would look awful! lol
Hello; With enough regular attention and WC there is no reason for the tank to look bad. I have seen tanks with power filters that look bad. The fish keeper determines how clean a tank is.
If you are thinking of the sight of the filters themselves then I guess that is a personal outlook.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store