8' Plywood Aquarium Build

DNicolasL

Feeder Fish
Oct 22, 2019
Hi, my name is Nicolas and I've been a lurker around the forums for a little bit. I'm planning out a plywood aquarium build. Just a little info about myself: I currently work for a residential building contractor and know a bit about glass from a period of time when my family owned and operated a glass company. The process of building the aquarium doesn't intimidate me but I have a few questions and I know a lot of you have good experience with plywood builds! Thanks for any help I get!

Outside dimensions of aquarium before external bracing 96x30x30 - 3/4" Low Iron Glass (2 viewing panes front and left side)

1.) If I make the length 96" how would I brace the front? 1x4? 2x4"? I wanted to use plywood for the bracing but it can't overlap my joints with plywood being only 96"

2.) On my size aquarium how much of a bezel should I have around the viewing pane? I purchased the king of DIY's book and it says 2" but in his video he says 3"-4.5"

3.) If I use a 1x1 strip of wood to reinforce corners and make a lip for my viewing pane how do I apply the fiberglass mat? Haven't found a clear explanation on this.

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Hi, my name is Nicolas and I've been a lurker around the forums for a little bit. I'm planning out a plywood aquarium build. Just a little info about myself: I currently work for a residential building contractor and know a bit about glass from a period of time when my family owned and operated a glass company. The process of building the aquarium doesn't intimidate me but I have a few questions and I know a lot of you have good experience with plywood builds! Thanks for any help I get!

Outside dimensions of aquarium before external bracing 96x30x30 - 3/4" Low Iron Glass (2 viewing panes front and left side)

1.) If I make the length 96" how would I brace the front? 1x4? 2x4"? I wanted to use plywood for the bracing but it can't overlap my joints with plywood being only 96"

See if you can find 10'x5' plywood, problem solved.

2.) On my size aquarium how much of a bezel should I have around the viewing pane? I purchased the king of DIY's book and it says 2" but in his video he says 3"-4.5"

I think 1.5-2" is perfectly fine and is what I did in my tank and will do for future tanks.

3.) If I use a 1x1 strip of wood to reinforce corners and make a lip for my viewing pane how do I apply the fiberglass mat? Haven't found a clear explanation on this.

The 1x1 strip is unnecessary IMO, especially is you overlap the outside. I also did not use fiberglass in the corners of my tank and have had no issues at all. Just used silicone which Pond Armor States is perfectly fine.

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store