8' Tank with Solid Cherry Stand Need advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
I found an 8' Looks like a 240G All Glass Aquarium on my Local CL, comes with solid Cherry wood stand. Seller wants $80.00 for everything.

Here's the kicker. it's been being used to house an iguana for 14 years. And has a crack in it. But for $80. Buying a piece of glass would be worth it. BUT i've never siliconed a tank of this size and am concerned about structure. if I pick this up should I cut every piece apart and rebuild every panel? Or could I just cut out the dry silicon and add a new bead then put in a new pane for the cracked piece?

Need some tips from the guys that have done this before.

Mike

mustang93svt

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2010
ohio
I have no luck re sealing large tanks (i've tried) But for $80 how can you go wrong trying. Glass alone is worth more. If I was you I would have had it home already.

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
$200.00 roughly for the piece of replacement glass. Wanted some feedback before I got into it. Also the stand was painted white so I will have to strip that to natural re-sand and seal it.

Maduro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2008
NY
make sure you check glass thickness. lots of big herp tanks are made with 1/4 inch glass which at that size is too thin for water use

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
The stand is worth the cost alone, even if you have to redo it.

If you take a paint scraper around the top and bottom rim you can sometimes pry them off easy. I had a few tanks that it worked with that were All Glass.

Take a dremel on a low setting and gently clean the edges of the new and old glass before sealing it up, the etch will help anchor the silcone in the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store