8 year anniversary today

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Any suggestions as to what I could do other than smoke? Lolol sounds stupid... but I smoke mainly because I constantly havto be moving/doing something... if I become bored or have nothing to do I smoke constantly... with I had something to substitute with... worst is at work during slow periods
I'm the same way. I am the type of person that always has to be doing something. When I sit and do nothing my mind wanders and that has always been when bad things happen lol. So I get what you are saying. My advice, find some hobbies that you truly enjoy. Do you have any other hobbies other than fish/tanks that you like? Good hobbies will keep your hands as well as mind busy.

For me, obviously I love aquariums, but I am a huge fly fisherman, I build fly rods, I paint, I'm into bonsai trees/working on them, I garden, I'm into building RC trucks, I bike during the summer. The list goes on and on. One thing is because I enjoy all those things, but the added bonus is they are things that keep my hands as well as mind busy and active. When your mind is busy you won't think about the things you shouldn't be doing.

Reactions: Nilsafeller

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Any suggestions as to what I could do other than smoke? Lolol sounds stupid... but I smoke mainly because I constantly havto be moving/doing something... if I become bored or have nothing to do I smoke constantly... with I had something to substitute with... worst is at work during slow periods
Oh I fully understand what you say and can relate. Btw, have any of you cigarette smokers tried vaping/e-cigs as a step toward becoming smoke free? As mentioned in previous post they're not perfect but I guarantee you will feel MUCH better -- and your family/pets will love you for it too -- no more stinking up the house, your clothes or your breath (in fact many vape juices smell really good, when exhaled, esp. the bakery and fruity flavors). Also I'm not sure about current prices of either cigs or vapes in your country, but in most places vaping works out to be quite a bit more affordable compared to regular smokes.

For sure quitting all smoking cold turkey is the best, but if you can't accomplish that yet (like me too), then I strongly feel vaping is the next best solution.

Reactions: tlindsey

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Oh I fully understand what you say and can relate. Btw, have any of you cigarette smokers tried vaping/e-cigs as a step toward becoming smoke free? As mentioned in previous post they're not perfect but I guarantee you will feel MUCH better -- and your family/pets will love you for it too -- no more stinking up the house, your clothes or your breath (in fact many vape juices smell really good, when exhaled, esp. the bakery and fruity flavors). Also I'm not sure about current prices of either cigs or vapes in your country, but in most places vaping works out to be quite a bit more affordable compared to regular smokes.

For sure quitting all smoking cold turkey is the best, but if you can't accomplish that yet (like me too), then I strongly feel vaping is the next best solution.
Here in oz it's actually illegal for the vape juice to have nicotine in it so you are just inhaling the flavoured steam. Of course it's not that hard to get the nicotine juice from a dodgy shop or import some from N,Z. My brother quit smoking and the quit the vale in around 2 months but my sister in law is constantly on the vape for 3 years now. It's much much cheaper as cigs and tobacco gets taxed hard here. It's caused a new industry of ram raiding ciggie shops and selling the stolen smokes at half price.

Reactions: islandguy11

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
I'm the same way. I am the type of person that always has to be doing something. When I sit and do nothing my mind wanders and that has always been when bad things happen lol. So I get what you are saying. My advice, find some hobbies that you truly enjoy. Do you have any other hobbies other than fish/tanks that you like? Good hobbies will keep your hands as well as mind busy.

For me, obviously I love aquariums, but I am a huge fly fisherman, I build fly rods, I paint, I'm into bonsai trees/working on them, I garden, I'm into building RC trucks, I bike during the summer. The list goes on and on. One thing is because I enjoy all those things, but the added bonus is they are things that keep my hands as well as mind busy and active. When your mind is busy you won't think about the things you shouldn't be doing.
You must be my long lost brother olol... I'm into lots... aquariums ,bodybuilding ,charcoal art ,fishing, hiking ,I actually love doing house chores and yard work... it's not the long term that gets me it's the short term... I could literally have 15 seconds where I'm not stimulated and it's to the smoke pack llol

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
You must be my long lost brother olol... I'm into lots... aquariums ,bodybuilding ,charcoal art ,fishing, hiking ,I actually love doing house chores and yard work... it's not the long term that gets me it's the short term... I could literally have 15 seconds where I'm not stimulated and it's to the smoke pack llol
That's more impulse control then. That's somewhat normal with most people when you try to quite an addictive habit. Good ways to try to get that under control is to do things that immediately remind you the reason "why" you are quitting smoking, and why it is the right thing for you to do. Ways to do that (and I did this when I first quit as well)...write down the reasons why you want/need to quit. For example...

-Do not want cancer/die early of your own doing
-Do not want to spend life wheeling an oxygen tank around behind you
-Do not want to have brown teeth and smell like smoke
-Want to be able to enjoy things without getting out of breath
etc, etc ,etc...

Write the reasons down and carry it with you folded up and look at it when you feel like smoking.

Also decide on something that is a few hundred dollars and make a plan to buy it for yourself as a gift with the money you save from not smoking. Either a new tank, or new high dollar fish, or new fishing rod or something of that nature. Every day you don't smoke take that $6 or $7 and put it in a clear jar so you can see the cash you are saving and putting towards something nice.

Sounds like kinda lame things to do, but trust me in the beginning, little things like that will help with the day to day impulse control.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm right there with ya on that too Warborg, I'm a recovering alcoholic myself. Haven't drank in years. Some people wonder what fun life is without drinking or smoking, but if they knew how pitiful my life was back when I was drinking & smoking they would not wonder that. I'm much happier these days.
Im in recovery as well :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store