800 gallon indoor pond, turn rate on filtration??

Scottfree

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
location, location, location
Anyone have an indoor pond around 800 gallons? Was curious what size pump that you might be using? I'll be doing a wet/dry system, and think about doing a pump around 1200GPH, is this enough? TIA

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
Anyone have an indoor pond around 800 gallons? Was curious what size pump that you might be using? I'll be doing a wet/dry system, and think about doing a pump around 1200GPH, is this enough? TIA
I don't have one anymore. I had one years ago in my back yard. I am about to build one when we move into our new house pretty soon. I am looking at 8' x 6' x 2' deep.
I was not going to put that big of a pump on mine, but mine will be more of an outdoor pond, with much on the bottom.
Are you going to keep it cleaned and vacuumed like a regular aquarium tank?
That would require a much bigger pump.

Scottfree

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
location, location, location
I will have an auto water changer on it, change about 2 GPH. I would think cleaning of the pond would then require less of a pump. I am going to vaccum from time to time, and like i said it will have a continual water changer...

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The size pump might depend on the type fish you keep.
Other than just filtration, a pump provides water movement and oxygen exchange.
Some fish require higher oxygen levels, and more water movement than others.
I kept cichlids that out grew my tanks in a 1000 gal kiddy pool, and used a 2400GPH pond pump
My riverine species preferred heavy movement.

The generic aquarium exchange thru filtration is often considered 5 times turnover per hour, but for some species that might be too raucous, for others not enough.
Whether your water change schedule will be enough, would determined by the stocking level, and nitrate buildup, normal filtration doesn't do much for nitrate reduction, and if the pond is lightly stocked 2 gallons per hour water change might be sufficient, if heavily stocked, it might not be.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store