9” Floater who can’t get down… best course of action?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
wednesday13 wednesday13 , as a fisherman you are likely aware of the "de-gassing" procedure performed by some anglers...with a hypodermic needle...on fish that have been brought up too quickly from deep water and can't be released due to swim bladder expansion.

I'm not actually suggesting that here...or am I? Especially problematic in the case of a poly, with dual bladders adapted for air breathing. I know I would be scared green to try it on one of my fish, but if I thought there were no chance of improvement...I dunno...

I'm watching this closely. My local shop has a tank full of tiny, 3-inch ornates...and some ansorgi...which I managed to resist after standing in front of the tank for about a half hour yesterday. But I am weak...

If there is an aquarist who has ever tried this...it's got to be Viktor, thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter .
Fishermen def. think alike ??… ive also debated this technique as a last ditch effort. Wouldn’t know where to “probe him” to “de gas” manually lol… but theres only one way to learn at the least to help the next guy maybe. Trial by fire some times. Never been a “lake guy” so its not something ive come across in all my yrs fishing creeks and rivers.

Go for the ansgori ?? lol… 2nd largest poly species i think. From what ive been reading ornates specifically are more prone to bloat than other species. Still odd tho ive had a handful over the yrs with no issues ??‍♂.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Most of my fishing has been in shallowish water as well, so I have come across this only a handful of times. Fortunately for me (and the fish) on almost every occasion I was fishing with someone who had considerable experience with the technique; made it look very easy, fish all swam away strongly. The one exception was an instance where I landed a really large walleye, in the 28-inch range, from water almost 60 feet deep. She simply couldn't manage to dive when released, despite seeming very strong otherwise. My de-gassing mentor was not present; we eventually netted her again, did the deed (I used a worm inflator needle!), and carefully released her. She too swam away as though unphased by the experience of having a ham-fisted tradesman stab her abdominal cavity with a Tyrannosaur-sized needle. I've wondered about that fish ever since, hope that she made it.

When/if you hit the right spot, you will know immediately; the sound, the smell, the instant improvement in the movement of the fish. It is supremely satisfying to see it work, but it will always be an absolute last resort.

But the guy who did it regularly, on at least two occasions that I know of, actually re-caught the fish in question, one later in the same year and another several years later (!), identifying them by means of the DIY fish-tags that were once popular on the market. He kept meticulous records and quickly traced them down in his notes. So, it isn't just an old wive's tale; the technique can work, at least sometimes on at least some fish species (his were both walleyes).

If you decide to take the plunge, I would suggest careful study of bichir anatomical drawings so that you at least have a chance of hitting the right spot. And...you won't know which side is the issue, will you? If I recall correctly, only one bladder performs the breathing function? If that's correct, maybe attempt the other side first and see how that goes before attacking the "lung" later on. It seems to make sense to me that the breathing bladder, being constantly in use, is probably still working properly since the fish is still alive...so therefore perhaps the problem is more likely the other side? Dunno.

The small polys on sale locally are tempting...almost overwhelmingly so, especially the ornates...but I am working hard on maintaining my hobby involvement at a relatively low level compared to times past when it became more work than fun. I'm too old to create more work for myself; I want more fun. :)

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Want to see the inside of the bichir? From this sticky thread https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/everything-you-need-to-know-about-bichirs.729562/

You get the direct link

Looks like one lung in covering another lung

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store