9 Red Dragons

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Are these yours? If so, oh my goodness -- 9 Dragons plus a Phoenix (Flagtail), according to Chinese mythology the (near) ultimate set-up for good luck and fortunes -- can you share some lottery numbers with me?! (and I only say near because according to said mythology one also needs a Tiger (Datnoid) so that land, sea and air are represented, but that's getting kind of picky imo).

I couldn't really count because my eyes kept getting mixed up lol, but imo the chillis have kind of more pronounced and shinier scales compared to the reds, which appear to be a bit paler in color/scaleage at this early age. The reds also have longer, more streamlined bodies compared to the slightly taller & beefier chillis (but I could be wrong on both counts :)). In any case all beautiful fish, that's an impressive tank.

stratos

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
They are mine for a bit, off to new homes in the near future. I have a 500 gallon coming soon for a BD stingray breeding project, plan on growing out a similar group of 9 Red Drgaons in that tank.

In the "old days" a true ST would have indeed really been the finishing "feng shui" touch along with the "Fei Feng" or Phoenix; with ST's and CT's pretty much gone now, I find the more common IT's available are mostly unstable. I'll keep my eyes open for a stable NTT. I've know some feng shui guys who go for a Distichodus sexfasciatus, otherwise known as a "Majestic Shelter" too. I'm not really into the feng shui aspect other than I find the traditional fish recommended seem to get along together great and make for a harmonious looking tank.

I agree that the chilli reds seem to have slightly shinier scales. Thanks for the compliment on the tank :)

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I've got a nice Fei Feng and luckily a 100% stable (never seen him darken up at all since I got him about 5 months ago), young NTT that'll eventually go into 1 of my 2 (both currently solo) Xback tanks.

That said like you I'm not truly into the feng shui stuff, just find the mythology behind it and Arowana kind of interesting, compatibility is more important (anyway I could never afford 9 Asian Arowana money or time-wise lol).

I was also thinking about a Distichodus sexfasciatus before but then I read about and saw pix showing when they get older and bigger they lose those beautiful bands and become a pretty dull, darkish grey.

Look forward to hopefully seeing the 500g project when set up, that sounds pretty awesome.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
How much did those cost?
It’s rude to ask about the price of fishes that he didn’t have listed, he would disclose that information if he was comfortable. But to give you an idea islandguy11 islandguy11 wasn’t too off with the numbers give or take a couple zeros and a few hundred, times that by 9.

stratos

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
Yes, it is true that fish such as these are not "inexpensive". :) The price is set by what the wealthy in China/Taiwan/Korea/Japan are willing to pay; Canada is just a tiny market in the scheme of things, so we must pay the price that is set elsewhere.

Here is a longer video of the same group of fish. The video was also taken shortly after the arrival of the fish.

Reactions: Dloks

Arowana1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
California Motherlode Area
Great Arowana's! They look as though they are going to make a compatible school. Post more pictures when you have the Arowana's in the 500 gallon.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store