90 Gallon Malawi Biotope

dvs

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2006
NC
Wanted to post my new 90 gallon Mbuna project. Let me know what you think. Fish coming soon.

Universal Rocks Crystal background.
FX6 filtration (intake behind background)
Heater also behind background
Current Freshwater Plus lighting
PFS and Cichlid mix sand combined
River Rocks

3D background definitely has a learning curve!

Template for rocks

Intake hidden

Dusk lighting

Moon Lighting

dvs

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2006
NC
Nice, how are you getting flow over the heater behind the background?
Hey glad you asked because this leads me to a question maybe you or someone can answer. There is no flow behind the background. I'm having to turn the heater up higher than normal to reach the desired temp. Im assuming the water behind the background is warmer than whats in front. I can test that today.

Does this pose any problems once I add fish?

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
Could burn a hole in your background or if a fish does get behind the background (and they usually find a way to do this) they'll get cooked.

Reactions: tlindsey

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Hey glad you asked because this leads me to a question maybe you or someone can answer. There is no flow behind the background. I'm having to turn the heater up higher than normal to reach the desired temp. Im assuming the water behind the background is warmer than whats in front. I can test that today.

Does this pose any problems once I add fish?
I would suggest you get an inline heater and either silicone your background to the tank glass or you would have a storage space of waste there and you don't want to take out your background during maintain.

dvs

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2006
NC
The background is universal rocks, and is meant to be placed in the tank and water to run behind. You can vacuum behind during maintenance if needed. The inline heater is not a bad idea.

I tested the water behind the background today and it was about the same. I think the heater thermostat may be a little off.

FAT daddy

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Rowland Heights
Please consider utilizing plastic eggcrate (light diffuser) beneath the rocks if you plan to do a similar build on a larger scale. Looks spectacular! If you are going to use an air pump please be sure to place it beneath the water level because if it falls in the water, your fish'll get shocked. I got shocked bad tried to retrieve a fallen air pump that was connected to a power source.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I would suggest you get an inline heater and either silicone your background to the tank glass or you would have a storage space of waste there and you don't want to take out your background during maintain.
I have 4 tanks with in-tank backgrounds. All have space behind to conceal equipment. I do use inline heaters. There is no maintenance problem behind the background, because that is where you put your filter intakes. Sweeps any waste right up. My only issue is the occasional fish getting back there, but I have just enough room to net them.

Peterepete

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
I have the same issues with my BG, some of the smaller guys like to hang out in the intake cavity, they can get in and out...for now that is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store