90 Gallon Step by Step Basic Reef Setup

ceejayt2k

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2007
Bay Area, CA
HI, I want to start up a salt water tank. What I would like to do is have some fish and anenomes in the tank. Would you know the type of filtration I would need in order to get it started and what are the necessary tests that I would need in order to maintain the tank? Anything would help..thanks

Caoboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
Modesto CA
Are there any updates on this tank? I'm asking concerning only using live rock for the tank.
Is this a FOWLR tank or a full on Reef tank now?

Last question, could I scale this down to a 20 gallon tank using RO and about 30 lbs of live rock, with about 3 inches of sand?

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
so reefscape, is this tank stocked?? if so maybe you could do a quick stickie on the placement of corals. Maybe a demo of drilling rocks for PVC dowels and things like that. Is that to vast for a stickie??

Gprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2008
Ottawa
ceejayt2k;2110882; said:
HI, I want to start up a salt water tank. What I would like to do is have some fish and anenomes in the tank. Would you know the type of filtration I would need in order to get it started and what are the necessary tests that I would need in order to maintain the tank? Anything would help..thanks
what size? around a 90g is about $1500-2000 start up, what hurts you the most is the lighting and live rock, the tank itself weirdly enough is the cheapest thing, then its all your other equipment, suppliments and additives, then comes livestock. as far as filtration goes, you CAN use HOB's or canisters but they tend to trap salt or so i've heard lowering salinity and SG levels. the best way to go about filtration for a SW tank is sump/refugium with biological filtration (live rock 1lb per gallon) your key tests are Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate which you want to be 0. people say to do about 10-30% water changes every 1-2 weeks using RO water. hope this helps

Caoboy;2482569; said:
Are there any updates on this tank? I'm asking concerning only using live rock for the tank.
Is this a FOWLR tank or a full on Reef tank now?

Last question, could I scale this down to a 20 gallon tank using RO and about 30 lbs of live rock, with about 3 inches of sand?
yes you can scale this down but the equipment will be different as what he is using for a 90g is overpowerd for a 20g such as lighting, pumps, power heads, heater etc... 30lb of live rock is a little much, a good "rule of thumb" for live rock is 1lb per gallon so 15-20lbs should be sufficient. hope this helps

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store