900 DIY tank planning and fauna discussion

RT2

Feeder Fish
Apr 11, 2021
Hello, this is my first time posting in this forum and I've been reading a lot of posts regarding big fish for big aquariums and I found a lot of useful stuff wich I wouldn't find anywhere else (specially about Peacock Bass, so thanks a lot!). Wich is why I decided to share about this project that I've been brainstorming for quite a while now, and I would really appreciate to hear y'all opinion and takes about it.

It would be a 8,9 ft (L) X 4,1 ft (W) X 3,3 ft (D) plywood tank, making it around 892 gallons. The fauna of the tank would consist of:

1x Cichla orinocensis;
1x Tiger Oscar;
1x Black Ghost Knifefish;
1x Potamotrygon hystrix;
3x Hoplarchus psittacus;
6x Brown Hoplo Catfish;
10x Silver Dollar fish (Metynnis hypsauchen);

I really need help regarding this list, I'm really afraid of overstocking the tank and I want to make sure that all the fish have a very healthy and happy life. I'm not sure if I should keep the cichla, although it's a absolutely gorgeous fish (my favourite of the Cichla genus), it's by far the biggest, messier and meaner fish in the list, and I heard they do best in atleast trios and I don't know if it will be happy all alone. If I would to remove the Pbass from the list I would go with a more family friendly community tank, replacing the SDs (since they eat all the plants, and I would prefer a planted tank) with a shoal of Chalceus and Discus fish.

So, what do you think? Keep the list the way it is? Go with the community tank idea? Add more Pbass? Any advice would be helpful.

RT2

Feeder Fish
Apr 11, 2021
black ghost knife fish are so cool i would go with like 4 of them
Aren't they somewhat territorial? I also heard that their eletric fields can get a bit weird when interacting with another knifefish's field

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
R RT2 yes the are aggressive to other BGKs. Also a BGK would probably be picked on by the pbass and oscar I would skip the BGK. Other than that I thinkit could work but as you said the bass might be an issue just keep an eye on it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store