A Guide to the Care of the African Pike Characin (Hepsetus odoe)

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
A nice start! For most care guides, having kept the fish helps a TONNE for developing relevant information and revealing the nuances in their care. Check out my African knife sticky for a look at how you can look into the little niggles of species. Good luck ;)

Reactions: Polypterus_36

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
A nice start! For most care guides, having kept the fish helps a TONNE for developing relevant information and revealing the nuances in their care. Check out my African knife sticky for a look at how you can look into the little niggles of species. Good luck ;)
I actually have a 5 incher at the moment. I only have kept him for about 2-3 months, although I have always been interested in the species.
I already trained him to eat pellets and fillet.

Reactions: Jiyowel

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
I think it also depends on the tankmates. My odoes are afraid of my 3 atfs. They also don't touch the nile perch.
That too! Your tank sounds awesome. I can't keep ATF or Nile perch because they are illegal in my state. I'm stuck with odoes!

Hi all, been a a lurker for quite some time. MFK has really just been a place for me to observe and research but Id like to finally chime in, as Polypterus_36 Polypterus_36 has done a pretty darn good job putting this care guide together and some of the photos used were from my IG account @polypterusboyz

I'd also like to add that odoe pikes and ATFs each fill a particular niche in African rivers. Fully grown odoes are usually preyed upon by tiger fishes and smaller tiger fish are usually preyed upon by odoes. That’s why "in most, but not all cases" if you keep them together the odoe will be killed or will kill the ATF in the long term.

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
Hi all, been a a lurker for quite some time. MFK has really just been a place for me to observe and research but Id like to finally chime in, as Polypterus_36 Polypterus_36 has done a pretty darn good job putting this care guide together and some of the photos used were from my IG account @polypterusboyz

I'd also like to add that odoe pikes and ATFs each fill a particular niche in African rivers. Fully grown odoes are usually preyed upon by tiger fishes and smaller tiger fish are usually preyed upon by odoes. That’s why "in most, but not all cases" if you keep them together the odoe will be killed or will kill the ATF in the long term.
Well said!

Reactions: Flyingmonkey

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Have also tried ATF and Odoe..... IF they are getting along then all you have to do is wait, it's just a matter of time before nature takes its course. They are natural enemies.

Anyone can get any combo of preds to work short term or their idea of long term, but highly doubt natural enemies play nice year after year. Something that most never see with ATF as the grissle missles seldom last year after year in most tanks.......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store