A Hole In My Clown Knife??

psychosicc6six6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Peoria, AZ
my 9in clown knife has a white hole on him it looks as though it is getting deeper
when i first noticed the dime size spot it was just a white discoloration, no hole, the spot isn't getting bigger in diameter only deeper. like something is eating a hole through his tail :( there are no other spots on him like that, and all of my other fish are fine, no holes or dime size white spots
any suggestions?

kiloindia

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2006
FL
Hole in the head disease? Hextima? What are your water parameters. I've heard high nitrates can cause this. I'm sure someone more experienced will reply.

3_racer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Spokane WA
i'm sorry to hear that. my knife that i had had the same problem when i got him. it to my best knowledge sounds like a bacterial infection. i have found that the best solution for this is Melafix. it is a natural remedy it is made from tea tree leafs. it kinda smells like vic vapor rub. but it works and works well. my knife cleared up in about two weeks. hope this helped.

kiloindia

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2006
FL
Just re-read your post about it being in the tail. Disregard hole in the head, sorry.

psychosicc6six6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Peoria, AZ
i'll try the melafix i hope it works really good.....i looked at him a min ago & the hole is pretty deep still the diameter of a dime but as deep as a nickle if not deeper

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
It looks like a wound, like something took a chunk out of it. Just treat it with antibiotics and that should do the trick.

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
If I had to guess, I'd agree with the wound theory too. Looks pretty nasty. I'm not into using meds unless it's an emergency but Melafix would be my choice for immediacy. I've had fish with wounds kind of like that from thrashing into lava rock.

RobD23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2005
The Rex
ya that sucks dude....hey do you guys know if clown knives like an air pump in the tank or do they prefer a currentless tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store