A huge loss

upaquariest

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2006
Houghton MI
So its been a while since I have posted, but to make a long story short I lost my entire tank. I had a 75 with 6 discus all around 4". I moved back to school, made it through the move ok, all of the fish survived and within 2 days were active and feeding well, no signs of stress. About 1 week after my move I was going on vacation, so in preperation I was feeding heavy and doubled my water change schedule, then when gone they were fed minimal food, about 1/4 of normal, and I had a friend who knows fish, doing my normal water change schedule. I come back from my trip 6 days later to a black tanks with 6 dead discus and a room that smells like ass. Anyways I have since converted the tank over to an African Cichlid tank, I had the africans in a 55 and turned the 55 into a brackish. I am planning on coming back to discus in a few years when I am out of college and have the time and money to do the set-up right, and I dont have to move every few months. But to any others that have lost discus dont get discouraged, learn from the mistake find out what you did wrong and correct it, in my case any one care to comment on what might have gone wrong, my theory is that there was a foriegn substance (beer) put into the tank.

ikevi

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
Oregon
Yah I wouldn't be surprised if all were killed in 6 days, it likely was some foriegn substance.

upaquariest

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2006
Houghton MI
It wasnt 6 days it was 12 hrs. My buddy came to feed them Thursday morning and when I got back Thursday night everything was dead. He ran a chemical test on the tank Wednesday night and everything was normal, PH 6.5, Amm at 0 Nitrite at 0 and Nitrate at .5 ppm. So I cant conclude anything other then something went into the tank.

ikevi

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
Oregon
12 hours, wow that is a for sure than. I know 1 person that went to top off a tank with what they thought was water in the fridge and it turned out to be alcohol... The fish didn't even last more than a few minutes though.

skiptomyzoo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
wow thats really unfortunate.
its happened to me before, left for a week, came back most all my fish were dead, and most of the ones that werent died in a few days. I hope your lucks better on the brackish and cichlid tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store