a lil convict advice please

joedodge

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
florida
i was curious on how fast they grow and how many i could keep in a 58 gallon tank and can you mix the standard convict and pink cons could you have a con community or several pairs in one tank

bdevilcasey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
You shouldnt have a problem with all cons. They grow fast although I couldnt give you a growth rate. Id go with 6 in a 58g. Watch for pairs though as if you get a pair or two they will destroy the others.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
get like 4 males
or 4 females

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
you could do two breeding pairs of cons in a 58. just give them plenty of rocks for cover and to establish their territory. I've had 3 pair in a 55 before, with my oscar. two of the pair bred at the same time (well, a few days apart, but they both had fry at the same time). the third pair got some pretty consistent harrassment from the other cons, though. I gave all the cons except for two males to a guy starting a pet shop. slightly more peaceful now.

Ficious

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
Iowa
if the 58 is one of you main tanks have you thought about other fish for it? unless its a side job tank cons arent all that exciting to have...and like said above, only a few would be able to live happily at maturity.

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
Ficious;3434574; said:
if the 58 is one of you main tanks have you thought about other fish for it? unless its a side job tank cons arent all that exciting to have...and like said above, only a few would be able to live happily at maturity.
a couple cons and a jack dempsey would go well in a 58 gallon (all female, preferably). that would be my suggestion for a 58 with a stock list including cons.

oh yeah, in the OP, you asked about mixing pink and black. no problem with that, they will even interbreed (after all they are the same species, and probably not too aware of their own coloration)

jimmybling31

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2008
hixson tennessee
convicts are cool to have a few pairs of in a tank. a 58 would be good for a few of them at least.

EdCal

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
SoCal
if you want to keep several pairs of convicts together. You're going to have to decorate your tank with ALOT of rocky caves. hopefully each pair will claim a section of the tank and stay there. I think it would be a nice setup, It'll be like a family feud everyday hahaha I love it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store