A new place for the mata mata: Build thread

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Well today morning was able to finish the electrification part, to run the pump.

With all the lockdowns and corona, it's quite difficult to take up any project and finish on time.

Here's the pump running.

There's a lot that needs to be done for aesthetics, which I shall take up, when I don't have to scrounge for something as simple as a collar or a bend

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Well after starting the filter here is water test results.
IMG_20210516_170309.jpg

IMG_20210516_170147.jpg

IMG_20210516_165118.jpg

I was planning to release the mata mata to this pond, but there's a cyclone along the coasts and the temperature has dropped drastically, so to he on a safer side, I want to wait out the cyclone before I release this one to the pond.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Well here's a small update

The terrestrial plants are in growth mode and have sucked up all the nutrients needed for the duckweed to survive and all duckweed is lost

This weekend I will move the mata mata to the pond, I have been a bit reluctant to move the mata mata as I am not sure if I have thought of everything before moving it in.

Anyways here's a video I grabbed of the mata mata moving around yesterday night

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Well here's a small update

The terrestrial plants are in growth mode and have sucked up all the nutrients needed for the duckweed to survive and all duckweed is lost

This weekend I will move the mata mata to the pond, I have been a bit reluctant to move the mata mata as I am not sure if I have thought of everything before moving it in.

Anyways here's a video I grabbed of the mata mata moving around yesterday night

One of the coolest turtles created imo.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
This Sunday me and my first born decided to move the mata mata into his new abode

Here is a video and a few pics before he was moved .

IMG_20210613_143950.jpg

IMG_20210613_145021.jpg

And the obligatory measurement

He initially got a bit bitey and pissed, but after a while calmed down.

I checked on him after 4hrs, and our man was trying to make his escape, he had explored the bank and tried to climb the wall, and got stuck between the wall and the plant.

Here's me rescuing the mata mata.

Today morning check up on him, he has accepted the upturned tile as the new hide, he was peering at me with his beady little eyes, but went in to hide.

Also almost all the terrestrial plants had been bulldozed in his attempt to escape

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Well after nearly two weeks, yesterday was the first time I saw him come out and explore, else I was beginning to think that he had become completely nocturnal unlike he was in the tank.
Here's a small video.

And since I was lucky enough to see him before I tried my luck at capturing a feeding video as well, and there he was with his neck sticking out for food.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Well after nearly two weeks, yesterday was the first time I saw him come out and explore, else I was beginning to think that he had become completely nocturnal unlike he was in the tank.
Here's a small video.

And since I was lucky enough to see him before I tried my luck at capturing a feeding video as well, and there he was with his neck sticking out for food.

I think the Mata Mata is enjoying its new home.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Yesterday night i took another video while feeding the big fella

And heres also a video of the new guy a chelus fimbriata

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member