A new place for the mata mata: Build thread

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Heres an update when I took him out for checking on him, as this one is completely nocturnal after moving to his new enclosure, I just don't get to see him during the day.

IMG_20211105_122642.jpg

IMG_20211105_122829.jpg

IMG_20211105_122751.jpg

IMG_20211105_122807.jpg

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Very nice. Excellent setup.
Where do you get the 'popsoil balls?
Cheers!
I get them from a plant nursery here that bakes them

These are used as a potting media for aroids and called leica

pga7602

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
LA CA
This is a great thread. I have two mata mata myself and would love it if you can explain the process of getting them off live feeder fish. I see yours just eats what you tossed in. Was there training involved or just making them hungry and leaving food overnight?

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
This is a great thread. I have two mata mata myself and would love it if you can explain the process of getting them off live feeder fish. I see yours just eats what you tossed in. Was there training involved or just making them hungry and leaving food overnight?
Thank you

How old is your mata mata ??

I got 3 of my mata mata at a very small size.
In the beginning I feed them live fish, after they get settled i stop leaving live fish in their tank, instead once in a few days I catch a live fish in tongs and feed. In the beginning they take time to understand that it's food in the tongs, so you gotta be patient.

Once they associate the tongs with food, every time you bring the tongs they will strike each time you hold something in the tongs.

Although they strike they might not readily accept new foods, my fimbriatus is a brat and will regurgitate tilapia. Here's a video of rejecting tilapia

It's a slow process but will work eventually.

I have never trained a large specimen, as I see that as they grow larger they get more and more shy and nocturnal.

Reactions: tlindsey

pga7602

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
LA CA
Thank you

How old is your mata mata ??

I got 3 of my mata mata at a very small size.
In the beginning I feed them live fish, after they get settled i stop leaving live fish in their tank, instead once in a few days I catch a live fish in tongs and feed. In the beginning they take time to understand that it's food in the tongs, so you gotta be patient.

Once they associate the tongs with food, every time you bring the tongs they will strike each time you hold something in the tongs.

Although they strike they might not readily accept new foods, my fimbriatus is a brat and will regurgitate tilapia. Here's a video of rejecting tilapia

It's a slow process but will work eventually.

I have never trained a large specimen, as I see that as they grow larger they get more and more shy and nocturnal.
Thanks for the quick response. One is 6 inches and the other is 10 inches. Shell size that is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store