A question about my angels

bstuver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2006
Utah
I have angels in my 115G tank and they seem to like to skim the surface of the water constantly, they aren't gasping by any means just sit up there with their faces turned up to the surface. Is this normal?
I have kept african cichlids for about two years and recently changed my tank into a planted one,I sold all of them and bought some angels, rainbowfish, tetras and guppies to go in there.

Jackie

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
When you say skim the surface do you mean they swim near the surface looking for food or do you mean they are on there sides? Angles are cichlids and like most of them recognise dinner healthy angles will always be at the surface when you are near as they are pigs I have bred and kept angles for years and every time I used to walk into my fish room it was like a pack of hungry animals following you around.

bstuver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2006
Utah
No they are not on their sides. They are up right. I would think it was looking for food but they are doing it before I walk in the room. They don't spend the whole day there but a better part of it.
I have my filter bars pointed up to move the surface of the water along with 2 airstones.
I just worry about them and don't want the m to kill over.
It is my largest male koi angel that is about 4-5" that is the one that is always up there.

Jackie

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
In the wild angels sit just below the surface, waiting to lunge at unaware small fish.

have they stoped eating?

and you say they are not at the top for air?

Have you done a water test? PH is not to important i have kept them in a wide range but Its a different story if they are wild caught.

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
HEY WElcome Too the MONSTERS!!!! LOL Funny seeing you here !!!

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
Bstuver.. Is this the same tank you just planted and are running co2 in ??

bstuver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2006
Utah
Hey Tongue yea it is the same tank. they are just DIY CO2 and the angel was doing it before I added that.
Water tests fine all parameters are normal.
Not wild caught(I wish).
They are still eating although the one that spends the most time there doesn't eat as well as the rest.

bstuver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2006
Utah
The fish are all new over the last few weeks, he's done it pretty much since I got him. The tank is fully cycled as it was for cichlids before that I just decided to change it into a planted tank so I sold all the fish and replaced them with more plant friendly fish.
There are 5 angels
9 rainbows
15 or so tetras
and 3 guppies
No problem with the questions I know you need to get all the info to help.
Thanks for the help so far.

Jackie

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
I would say they are fine they do like the top water as I say that where they live in the wild and if they are still feeding and the water is fine I cant see a problem. As I said they tolerate a wire range of ph and temperatures they are quite a tough fish. But I have seen Tanks full of them turn in whole sales with the Angelfish virus known here as angle aids the symptoms are initially loss of balance which worsens to spiralling and ultimately death there is no known treatment for the condition. But I really don’t think they have this this is why I asked if they wee on there side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store