A Tribute to the Under Gravel Filter..

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I'm actually still on the fence about incorporating an UGF for the sump section of my 135/75 build. I'm hesitant only because I really want to use sand in my 75.... Otherwise, an ugf, covered with flourite or Ecco would make the perfect addition. Decisions decisions.......

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
I'm actually still on the fence about incorporating an UGF for the sump section of my 135/75 build. I'm hesitant only because I really want to use sand in my 75.... Otherwise, an ugf, covered with flourite or Ecco would make the perfect addition. Decisions decisions.......

NO.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I think trying it with oddball's suggestion of the blue/white poly layer would make for an interesting try. I know he said he uses gravel, but I think with a coarser pool filter sand it might work out very well.

thepotz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2010
N Dakota
wow, this thread has really taken off! So I tested the water again today to see if maybe it just needed some off-feeding time to catch up, and it is slightly more orange today, than yesterday, but still not at a solid 20ppm, so I'd say that I definately have a nitrate problem, by not changing my water. I guess my fish just tolerate high levels of Nitrate? I have had these fish for years in these conditions, and everything stays stable, so I never saw a need to change the water. I APOLOGIZE for misleading anyone to not do water changes. I guess since I have never tested for nitrates, (my kit never included that test) and my fish weren't dying, I thought there was nothing wrong. Since testing my water, I See that there IS a problem with my water quality, and it needs attention. I still think the UG filter get's a bad rap, and it's function in this hobby is very useful, and probably the MOST RELIABLE form of filtration out there. It does not work well with planted tanks, but for unplanted tanks using gravel, I think it works quite well. Yes It does need to be vac'd to break up the gravel a bit every once in a while, but other than that, I think it works the best of all the systems I've built. Reliability and Low Maintenance seem to be It's overall benefit. I Use a HOB with pothos in it for the Nitrate, but it seems as tho I need more plants, and WATER CHANGES! ..due to the high levels I am experiencing in this tank. Maybe I'll find some fruit bearing plants like pumpkin to make sure my Nitrates stay down in the future. This has been a humbling experience for me in this hobby. Just when u think you know what your talking about... an MFK forum smacks you down!:D

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
^ takes a pretty big man to admit when they we're wrong when its so easy to just not log on or ignore the thread

Cheers to seeing the light and owning up to it

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
wow, this thread has really taken off! So I tested the water again today to see if maybe it just needed some off-feeding time to catch up, and it is slightly more orange today, than yesterday, but still not at a solid 20ppm, so I'd say that I definately have a nitrate problem, by not changing my water. I guess my fish just tolerate high levels of Nitrate? I have had these fish for years in these conditions, and everything stays stable, so I never saw a need to change the water. I APOLOGIZE for misleading anyone to not do water changes. I guess since I have never tested for nitrates, (my kit never included that test) and my fish weren't dying, I thought there was nothing wrong. Since testing my water, I See that there IS a problem with my water quality, and it needs attention. I still think the UG filter get's a bad rap, and it's function in this hobby is very useful, and probably the MOST RELIABLE form of filtration out there. It does not work well with planted tanks, but for unplanted tanks using gravel, I think it works quite well. Yes It does need to be vac'd to break up the gravel a bit every once in a while, but other than that, I think it works the best of all the systems I've built. Reliability and Low Maintenance seem to be It's overall benefit. I Use a HOB with pothos in it for the Nitrate, but it seems as tho I need more plants, and WATER CHANGES! ..due to the high levels I am experiencing in this tank. Maybe I'll find some fruit bearing plants like pumpkin to make sure my Nitrates stay down in the future. This has been a humbling experience for me in this hobby. Just when u think you know what your talking about... an MFK forum smacks you down!:D
As the pothos grow it should bring levels down more and more but as your fish grow bigger and bigger it kind of cancels it out. More pothos!

^ takes a pretty big man to admit when they we're wrong when its so easy to just not log on or ignore the thread

Cheers to seeing the light and owning up to it

+1

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title and 9 wins back to back in 1 season (record!) See you next year in Australia boys!×

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

thepotz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2010
N Dakota
yea, I can get pics up later tonight, right now i'm in the garage, workin on a bus. It's not quick n easy for me to post pics, cuz I have a nokia phone, and i don't think the app will run on it, so i have to take pics off my phone, then load them on my cpu. another pia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store