aba's tail was bitten off

Big Business

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2005
DC area
i came home from work and the tail was gone. was removed at about where the dorsal fin (i'm not sure if that's what it is called on an aba) starts. with the tail the aba was probably 7-8". so about 1.5" is gone

will it live? if so will that tail grow back?

any advise would be appreciated

3_racer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Spokane WA
you could use some melafix that should help it. it will also calm your fish and if your abas' tail will grow back it will help it grow back faster. it will also help keep any infection from setting in. good luck.

Big Business

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2005
DC area
The Happy Mud Skipper said:
my dinosaour eels #@$% up my gobies all the time I lost about threegobies to disease after their fins were bit off. I've added AQUARIUM SALT to the aquarium for the past two months when ever a fin is bit off and I Haven't lost a goby yet!!
yeah bro but it's a planted tank so unfortunately I can’t add salt. good thought though

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Many plants will tolerate 1 tbs of salt per five gallons but melafix is supposed to be good for that type injury as well. What bit it and can you separate them.

Big Business

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2005
DC area
3_racer said:
you could use some melafix that should help it. it will also calm your fish and if your abas' tail will grow back it will help it grow back faster. it will also help keep any infection from setting in. good luck.
yeah that's probably what i'll do thanks

Big Business

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2005
DC area
guppy said:
Many plants will tolerate 1 tbs of salt per five gallons but melafix is supposed to be good for that type injury as well. What bit it and can you separate them.
I can put the aba in a baby net but i'm afraid that might stress it out even more. you see i have about 3wpg of light and the aba seems to not care for the light.

about the salt, do amazon plants do well with 1 tbs/5gal?

skinless

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2005
Edmonton, CAN
My female convicts tail was once bit right off by the male after one of their first spawns several months ago, it grew back quick and appears fine. Was told that regrowth might stunt the tails appearance but it looks alright to me. Your Aba Aba should be fine.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
My banded knife (carapo or something like that) remeved a at least a good inch of my aba aba's tail to the dorsal fin too. It grew back pretty quickly

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store