About Cichlids....

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
"A Cichlid (pronounced “sick-lid”) is a fish of the family Cichlidae in the order Perciformes. The family Cichlidae, a major family of perciform fish, is both large and diverse. It includes some 2000 species, in sizes that range from ca. 3 cm (e.g. Apistogramma) to close to a metre (Boulengerochromis, Cichla), and with morphologies ranging from highly compressed (Pterophyllum, Symphysodon, Altolamprologus) to extremely elongated (Teleogramma, some Crenicichla spp.)."

Scotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
George, South Africa
ginkun said:
What a Cichlid?

~Gian
Welcome to Monsterfishkeepers. :newbie: :cheers: May you learn loads about the different cichlids found around the world. I am personally fond of the Malawi cichlids. They have evolved over millions of years and apparently all came from a single species. In Lake malawi you get fish that are found amoungst the rocks and these are commonly known as mbuna, the Malawian name given to them. Their main diet is the algae that grows on the rocks.
We then have a group known as utaka, Haplochromis, those fish that school, and are found in mid-water and feed mainly on zooplankton.
We then have a group called Aulonocara, the most peacefull of all the fish found in the Lake. They are found maily over the sandy areas as they feed from these areas.
Last but not least we have the predators. These patrol the deeper waters, some of which are excellent at ambushing their prey.
The males of all these fish are the most colourful. Their colour becoming greatly enhanced when breeding occurs. All but one species are what is known as mouthbrooders. They carry the eggs and then the fry for about four weeks before releasing them. :naughty: :woot: :clap :headbang2 :thumbsup:

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Yo G you know those things your dad keeps? YAH THOSE ARE AFRICANS (Cichlids)!!!! You are such a dork!! LOL cant believe you posted that here!!

I am sure your dad knows the definiton haha I needa to see his clean tanks now!

Oh yah you need a crappy avatar 2!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store