? About My New RBP Tank Setup

dals

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2010
Ontario
I made some changes and I'm not sure if its for the best,worst, or not needed. It looks good but is it setup right.

Tank size is 55 Gallon
4 1" RBP's
1 Emperor 280 Power Filter
300 Watt Heater
2 Bubble Wands stretching together along the back of aquarium
Plants (fake) in one end, 1 piece Driftwood and a large Cave like rock in the center
Substrate is Gravel

I find the Flakes on the opposite side of the tank are pretty much standing still, which brings concerns of proper filtration.

I have the filter setup in the right hand side of the aquarium.

So now i wonder this?

Should the filter be shifted towards the middle of the tank?
Should i have my bubble wand directly below my filter, meaning is this going to interfere with my filtration?

Also, the extension tube for my Emperor is too long for my tank, so the filter strainer is only about half way down, should I cut the extension tube and place the strainer near or at the bottom?

Thanks guys, comments and suggestions would be very appreciated.

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
I know i'm skipping over most of your question (i think set up is all personal preference) but i don't think your lone emperor 280 can handle the load of 4 piranhas unless you're doing frequent water changes and stay religious about it 6 months from now when they're pushing 5-7 inches each.

I'd take out the 2 bubble wands and get a powerhead instead unless you like the look of the wands. Your Ps will enjoy the current and it'll take care of the problem where you have little or no currents on the left side.

Kyle383

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2010
BC Canada
Thats alot like my set up and about the same size P's. Mine has been working pretty well so far. The power head is prolly a good idea like he ^ said. Im working on getting one. But i think your set up will work for you. Just keep up with your maintnence and you should be fine. Good luck.

Kyle

dals

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2010
Ontario
Thx guys for the feedback.

I'll update or just add maybe an AC110 to the other side.

As for the Powerhead, where exactly would i want the current? Along bottom,middle top?

thx

clownie33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2010
maryland
the setup sounds pretty good but i would add a meduim flow power head facing toward the still water direction of your tank plus you should feed or rbp's mini ciclid pellets and they will grow faster

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store