? about the diy overflow

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
rallysman;1248187; said:
Take a small section of PVC (I used 1/2") and make a big U shape. Then get a peice of 1" and cap the bottom. Install a "T" where you want the water level to be, hang it on the tank (I used a PVC hanger zip tied to the 1" tube), put the "U" in the 1" tube and the tank then it's done. Just fill the 1" tube and install an air line check valve on the "U" to pull the air out.

I think this is the method that Li and a couple of others are using. It's working great for me.
I am sure some of you know but this photo is the same concept simplified into a single pipe. (I modified your photo Rallysman) The height of the T will determine the water level height in the tank just like the first photo. I use 40mm PVC pipe for high flow rates which lies flat against the tank unlike this image.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
fishdance;1384430; said:
I am sure some of you know but this photo is the same concept simplified into a single pipe. (I modified your photo Rallysman) The height of the T will determine the water level height in the tank just like the first photo. I use 40mm PVC pipe for high flow rates which lies flat against the tank unlike this image.
those would work the same, but the DIY overflow sticky posted here seems to get air into the system because it's skimming the surface. That's what I've experienced anyway. When a fish splashes like mad when feeding, the DIY in the sticky seems to get air in it.

The only reason I like the first image is that it's easier to fine tune the water level.

AndrewMack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Fleming Island FL
rallysman;1398093; said:
those would work the same, but the DIY overflow sticky posted here seems to get air into the system because it's skimming the surface. That's what I've experienced anyway. When a fish splashes like mad when feeding, the DIY in the sticky seems to get air in it.

The only reason I like the first image is that it's easier to fine tune the water level.
im kinda confused by this, it looks like a piece of PVC pipe shaped like a U. i don't really understand where the T comes into place. I had planned on putting a 90º elbow on the inlet of my overflow with a filter sponge on it, to help eliminate the amount of air that gets into the overflow, also i planned on putting a aqualifter pump or hooking a line to a venturi to help make sure it wont lose prime. Rallysman can you please post pictures of yours

craigthor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
IA
I'm looking at both if I draw from the bottom with a tee at my water level do you still have the same issue as using it to draw from the water surface as a skimmer? Need to get from my sump to my basement....

craigthor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
IA
mike dunagan;1547357; said:
How well does this work for a overflow for a sump setup? It is good enough for my 110?
Mike in the DIY articles stick EH has a huge write up about the PVC overflow this is great for a DIY autochanger as it flows slower but the other writeup has alot more info for a Regular the ideas are the same just the tee has to go lower.

Craig

rednhot

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Ca, USA
euge's got it right, but the loop doesn't have to reach the bottom of the tank to work.

...or you could use the first plan and put a small pump to suck the airbubbles out of the smaller pipe...

sypherz28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2008
NC
for me the drawings are a lil confusing. Is it generally just a syphon effect thats going on? Better yet anyone have a DIY they can get together with pictures? If I can get a good idea of exactly what I need to do Ill put one together so everyone can make one happen. I'm in dire need of such a design cause im refusing to drill through my 55gal tank for the overflow to my sump im DIY'ing.

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
okay so I made another one.... this one was able to keep up on its own... it is just a tad lower, but I have both running just in case... It was really difficult to get it going right... but today is my test day... so far 5 hours without a problem... why was the other one unable to keep up? The new one I made the loop go deeper into the tank than the one you gave me...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store