? about the diy overflow

FishFlake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Maine, USA
If I understand how this works..., I'd say your "T" is too low. It should be higher than the "U" in the tank.

Read through this tread and check the diagrams.

jlam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2010
Sydney
joeytoe;2073438; said:
I finally got around to making one of these using this as a template

Im pretty sure some posted it here somewhere. I made one addtion to the design, a slipxfpt 90 attached to the T fitting in back with a hose adapter.

An of course you have to play with the pipe lengths depending on the tanke you have.

I think it works much better than the HOB overflows.
After spending a day reading on how to build one of these, would this design be sufficient in removing solid waste in a cichlid tank? since the inlet is at the surface? Provided the sub-cycles the tank a few time an hour!

I'll be getting someone to build the fish tank, being a noobie if i've the option to get them to drill the tank, would the same design still apply but the top 'u' built into the glass?

Thanks

jhfry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2011
Knoxville, TN
New member here... please be patient with me. I have done a ton of reading so if this has been discussed before I only ask again because I didn't know the right search terms to use to find the discussion.

This may be a bit of paranoia on my part but the thought of losing siphon scares the hell out of me. Well actually what scares me is having my display tank overflow and having to convince my wife to let me keep the new filter.

Anyway, I was day dreaming of some ways to prevent it and I'm sure they have been thought of before but I couldn't find them talked about. What methods have proven the most reliable/realistic.

Option 1: direct a fraction of the flow from the return to the top of the U bend in the siphon. Sure it would cause some re-circulation and reduce the amount of water pulled from the display, but it would, in theory, prime a failed siphon.

Option 2: run more than one equally sized siphon... though I suspect that the reduced flow in all of the siphons may actually increase the likelihood of them losing siphon (lower flow equals potentially more air accumulation in the siphon)

Option 3: run more than one smaller sized siphon... would solve the problem with option 2, but may present other issues that I am not thinking of.

Option 4: Install a float switch to cut off the return pump.

I am leaning toward option 4... but would like to hear your thoughts.

ichthius

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
jlam;4956745; said:
After spending a day reading on how to build one of these, would this design be sufficient in removing solid waste in a cichlid tank? since the inlet is at the surface? Provided the sub-cycles the tank a few time an hour!

I'll be getting someone to build the fish tank, being a noobie if i've the option to get them to drill the tank, would the same design still apply but the top 'u' built into the glass?

Thanks
These do not have to be surface skimming. You can bottom skim also. You just have to set the outlet tee higher to keep the water level higher in the tank.

Bottom skimmers are less likely to loose siphon because they do not have bubbles constantly falling down the over flow.

Surface skimming is very nice for cichlids if feeding rich feeds that leave a film on the water.

jhfry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2011
Knoxville, TN
ichthius;5048601; said:
Or you could play with the big kids and learn how to drill your tank...
I wish it were so simple. I have an aching feeling that my tank is tempered... I don't know for sure of course, but that's my fear. And there are a couple of residents who might be upset with me if I sent them to live in buckets so I could take the tank outside and confirm.

I would love to drill though... have you got any sure fire way to know if I can... without taking the tank out in bright sunlight?

thecure

Feeder Fish
Mar 31, 2011
Jakarta
my diy overflow with standar pipe, 1/2 inch pipe

let me translate it for u:
kasih pipa kecil = add small pipe
lubang di sini= drill a hole for small pipe to in on to it, and seal it
atur batas yg di inginkan = end of the small pipe, make it straight with the end of U pipe

when the power head off, the water will flow to sump tank, but when the water level gets to the end of small pipe, air will enter the pipe and stop the water to the sump tank.
when the power head turn on agan, the water from sump tank fill the main tank, when the water level high enough, the water will enter the small pipe and the the water flow from main tank to sump tank is high, because no more air inside the pipe
u can use more larger pipe to get more heavy water flow

here how the aquarium it looks like

thecure

Feeder Fish
Mar 31, 2011
Jakarta
my diy overflow with standar pipe, 1/2 inch pipe

let me translate it for u:
kasih pipa kecil = add small pipe
lubang di sini= drill a hole for small pipe to in on to it, and seal it
atur batas yg di inginkan = end of the small pipe, make it straight with the end of U pipe

when the power head off, the water will flow to sump tank, but when the water level gets to the end of small pipe, air will enter the pipe and stop the water to the sump tank.
when the power head turn on agan, the water from sump tank fill the main tank, when the water level high enough, the water will enter the small pipe and the the water flow from main tank to sump tank is high, because no more air inside the pipe
u can use more larger pipe to get more heavy water flow

here how the aquarium it looks like

birdhawk23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2011
Evansville, IN
Love this thread guys...

Couple of questions..
1. How much money, roughly would a setup like this cost?
2. What pump are you guys using?
3. If running a drip system, where do you implement the "drip" and where do you get the tank to "undrip?" and how is that regulated?

I never thought so much physics would go into something like this

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store