About the maximum size of Chitala borneensis

ILOVESHARKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2021
Malaysia
Hi guys, anyone researching the genus chitala ? I wanted to know about the maximum size of chitala borneensis I found most websites saying they grow 39.3 cm, but here's a 8.2 kg individual caught in Sarawak, let me know if you know more about these knifefish
1660906497333.png

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
This is a tricky subject, I may potentially own this species but am completely unable to find out until genetic testing/the fish ages. Generally this species is noted as staying smaller but I question this often.

If anything, I can confirm that the non-ornata chitala grow significantly slower than ornata. Ornata often outcompetes these species due to its rapid growth rate.
I am rather convinced there are more species than what is currently described.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
If I remember correctly there is a guy on this site that was looking into a species of knife species that he was believing that it was a highly uncommon species which I believe was the species you are curious about. He had contacts with I believe it was a scientist that got him information that was not available to the public. If you can find this person on here then you might be able to learn more about the species that you seek. I do apologize for not being able to provide more information or even being able to guarantee that this information is 100% correct so forgive me.

Reactions: ILOVESHARKS

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
If I remember correctly there is a guy on this site that was looking into a species of knife species that he was believing that it was a highly uncommon species which I believe was the species you are curious about. He had contacts with I believe it was a scientist that got him information that was not available to the public. If you can find this person on here then you might be able to learn more about the species that you seek. I do apologize for not being able to provide more information or even being able to guarantee that this information is 100% correct so forgive me.
So, I have located the thread that I was remembering and here it is.
Hopefully you can get in contact with the op and get more information on the species you wish.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
So, I have located the thread that I was remembering and here it is.
Hopefully you can get in contact with the op and get more information on the species you wish.
Whoops, I guess I never read past the first post and as a result of that I didn't see that the person that I was talking about had already posted in this thread. My apologies.

ILOVESHARKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2021
Malaysia
I swear you get a new monster every week ???
I swear you get a new monster every week ???
just sharing, chitala is a challenging fish to catch in the wild, you need live baits to catch lopis, mostly tinfoil barbs, hard lipped barb, most people use hard lures to catch clown knife in lake mines, while borneensis can be caught using feeder fishes, shrimps, crickets and earthworms as baits

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store