Above and below ground koi pond Q's

velvetbone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
San Diego, California
Hey Everyone,
I'm a newbie to this activity. So I have lots of Q's. First, here is the plan:
  • I would like to build a (L)16' x (W) 5' x (D) 4' lined koi pond.
  • 2' above grade, with seating around and 2'-3' below
  • the seating would be in the form of some kind of masonry block on the outside of the frame that is discribed below
  • the floor will slope towards one end, so I'm guessing that 1 end will be at about 5' (do I apply the plywood and styrafoam here too?)
  • the corners of the fence posts will have long threaded bolts (still researching this part) going down through the timber to supply stability
  • there will not be any square vertical or horizontal corners
  • I will probably use treated fence posting staggering them like Lincoln logs to create the outside frame.
  • then 1/2" or 3/4" (sealed) plywood for the inside of the pond.
  • then 1" styrafoam (to provide temperature control I live in So.Cal.), after the plywood
  • apply a pre-liner over the styrafoam
  • lastly apply the EPDM 45mil liner by Firestone
I realize that the list is long :screwy: . But from what I have read. It is cheaper to make a mistake on paper than in the ground.
Please let me know what you think. What are the flaws? What advice can you give? Be critical!!! But please just be constuctive:newbie:
I haven't even begun to tell you about my ideas about the filtration system yet:naughty:
Thanx in advance
Velvetbone

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
:welcome::mwave::welcome:

Looks like you've been thinking for a while here...Good job.

Hhmm, what did you forget to talk about???

Hiding the top of the liner.

Drains and overflows.

Is this free standing (out in the middle of the yard) or up at the house.

Shade or full sun?

Why "there will not be any square vertical or horizontal corners"?

Don't get this part "the corners of the fence posts will have long threaded bolts (still researching this part) going down through the timber to supply stability" thru the center, from top to bottom?

Make sure the posts are smooth and free of slinters that could punch thru the liner.

Lets hear your filter ideas now too.:D

Guess it's time for you to fire up Google SketchUp now.

Dr Joe

velvetbone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
San Diego, California
Hey Doc,
Thanx for your reply!!!
  • "Hiding the top of the liner"- I still need to think this through but I believe I read somewhere that someone had used some kind of DIY mixture to create a 3' slab that weighed around 60 lbs. I can't remember how wide it was or how thick. But 60 lb sounds pretty substantial though. This slab would rest atop of those stackable retainning wall bricks you can buy at those Box stores. The bricks are 9" from front to back.
  • "Drains and overflows" - this kind of goes with the above too...the top row of brick will be on 3 sides of the pond. Two 5' wide and One 16' long, The other long side will be a fixed and non-movable 5' masonry wall with 4' of safety glass above it (so no seating area). It was recently erected as a sound proofing measure by Cal-trans. My very small yard overlooks Beautiful I-15 :ROFL: . Luckily there is a hill that I will use for waste water.:naughty: I am planning on having 1 1/2 feet between back of the top row of brick and the timber frame. The space will be used in 2 ways. 1) To provide an area where I can add bracing from the ground for aditional support of the DIY seating "Slab" and 2) This will allow me to have access to plumbing for skimmers, overflows and return pipes. Ideally I want to limit the amount of non-accessable plumbing as much as possible. I do realize the drain/waste pipe(s) (are drain and waste pipes the same?) will need to be underground, or do they?
  • "Shade or full sun?" - Full sun for 4 hours. I may build a patio cover for partial shade. Or try one of those huge umbrellas that are attached to a heavy stand.
  • "Why "there will not be any square vertical or horizontal corners"?" - from what I have read a pond should not have any coners in order to prevent "dead" spots where detritus can build up:confused:
  • Don't get this part "the corners of the fence posts will have long threaded bolts (still researching this part) going down through the timber to supply stability" thru the center, from top to bottom?
    Since there will be a 2' frame above ground for the pre-liner and liner and I will be using a Lincoln Log method to stack them to create the frame, I just want to somehow secure the fence post together when they are lying horizontally on top of each other. Especialy at the corners. I got this idea from Midnight's DIY Timber Pond.
  • "Make sure the posts are smooth and free of slinters that could punch thru the liner" - I will be limiting the amount of preliner and liner that comes in contact with the top plywood by using the foam insulation that is used on copper piping for water heaters and etc... I will make a cut length wise then place it over the top of the plywood.As for the extra liner I will have sanded all wooded areas that have the potential of coming in contact with either liner
  • "Lets hear your filter ideas now too.:D" - I will be posting those ideas very soon. I plan on a DIY Mechanical and Bio. What are your experiences with "veggie" filters or T.T., or F.F.? I think you can't have enough filteration. Please don't get me wrong I don't want to be indentured to this pond but I do take owning living animals seriously.
  • "Guess it's time for you to fire up Google SketchUp now" - so is that how all those fancy skethes are done? Thanx for the tip. I hope its EZ!
Sorry for the long reply but thanks for even taking the time to read my 1st post:) .
Velvetbone

Marietta lafrancois

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Hey Dr Joe? I live in 30 miles north of Charlotte North Carolina, What is the best temperature for a Koi pond? Right now it is 38 degrees outside. How cold is cold for them? Plecos?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Hey Dr Joe? I live in 30 miles north of Charlotte North Carolina, What is the best temperature for a Koi pond? Right now it is 38 degrees outside. How cold is cold for them? Plecos?
@Dr. Joe hasn't been seen in over 8 yrs on this site.
(Click on the avatar pics to view such info)
Koi are very cold hardy provided you don't feed in winter, and have openings in the ice for oxygen/gas exchange.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store