Acanthosaura sp. ID?

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Recently acqured two Acanthosaura sp. labeled as "Mountain Horned Lizard" for a very low price; guy selling them apparently wasn't interested in making a profit and just wanted to sell them to free up some space. Both appear to be rather healthy LTC imports; only one or two claws missing, no signs of stuck shed, bright, alert, hydrated, and at a reasonable weight. I'm 95% sure these two are juvenile A. capra, but wanted to see what others thought. I generally steer clear of wild-caught animals and almost never buy them, but I had decided to obtain the two as they were healthy, reasonably well-established, and most likely wouldn't contribute heavily to further imports.

This is the first individual; most likely a female based on vent shape; then again, I believe these are juvenile specimens and I have little experience sexing arboreal agamids and therefore I could be incorrect. Both this one and the other are very defensive and bit me a couple times when I tried to move them while cleaning out their quarantine enclosure. Has eaten three dubias so far and does seem to be drinking from flowing water.
1667948810602.png1667948837399.png1667948860304.png

Unfortunately, I don't have any images of the second individual right now, but I'll try to get pictures later.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Not really well versed on the Acanthosaura, because I know I can’t ever have them, but I do think your guess is right and they’re Acanthosaura capra.
Tree dragons are awesome, but Forest Dragons are better!

Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store