Acclimating LARGE Fish

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
The TRUST said:
Very good read Miles. Definitely will keep it in mind in the future. Do you think other products that neutralize ammonia like PRIME will also work?
Prime and Ammo-Lock both work the same! We have used both.

I prefer the AmQuel+ and NovAqua+ at the same time however. The neutralizing of heavy metals with both conditioners at the same time, will make both the bag water and the tank water hopefully closer in water paramaters. Not to mention all of the new stuff that NovAqua+ claims to do with anti-virus, echinacea, and vitamin supplements added to it. It is however a much better 'slime coat enhancer' than Stress Coat, because it's not aloe vera based. The only other conditioner we use is aquarium salt, depending on the fish and situation.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
nick said:
so rather then doing the drip method after adding amquel i should just dump my ray in the tank?
That is what we do, just make sure your not making a HUGE pH jump, or hardness jump, which could be even more important. Use Chemi-Pure for a day before you add it to your tank, if you can.. Don't let any of the bag water go into the tank if you can.. Just drain out 80-90% of the bag water, and try to gently let the ray swim out of the bag. Then you should try to offer him food to trigger his eating response so hopefully he settles in.. (Blackworms/earthworms awaiting..) Use AmQuel and NovAqua in both the bag, and the tank water. Try to get the ray out of the bag within 1-2 minutes of it being opened. 'Squirt, Dump, and Go'.. We unload 20 boxes of fish real fast ;)

i think rays are the main factor here as everyone makes them seem like they die at the slightest ajustment of ph.....
We acclimate them from 7.0 to 7.4-7.6. They seem to do real well, but we also make sure to never have ammonia/nitrite present in the tanks. I think some people assume its the big jump in pH, but infact they were burning the rays gills by 'slowly adjusting the pH' to the proper environment.

If anything, find out what the pH of the water is in the tank that the ray is coming from. Try to match this for the first few weeks, then adjust it slowly to your water source. This can be tough if you need to do alot of water changes, things just won't be stable.

The problem is, when you fiddle with RO units, and possibly have low alkalinity, even the slightest bit of ammonia will cause your pH to crash. Also, when you use these chemicals that are supposed to 'Lower pH' and 'Lower Hardness', which I never understood how you could use a chemical to remove hardness in water.. but anyways these Chemicals will create a 'rollercoaster' effect on your pH, especially with every water change. This wont happen if you are extremely tedious about matching water conditions, but even this can be difficult for experts.

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
Miles what is the ph in your pools?
i want to match it for the ray you are sending me

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
bluedempsey said:
Miles what is the ph in your pools?
i want to match it for the ray you are sending me
7.4-7.6, sometimes higher.. With a hardness of 120-150ppm.. I wouldn't mess with it much if you can.. Do extra water changes for the first few weeks he is in ;) Hopefully he does well! Im really crossing my fingers!

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
Miles said:
7.4-7.6, sometimes higher.. With a hardness of 120-150ppm.. I wouldn't mess with it much if you can.. Do extra water changes for the first few weeks he is in ;) Hopefully he does well! Im really crossing my fingers!
how was he acting while he was there?

BraveheartCalif

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2005
Bermuda
I think this post needs a disclaimer.
I know this is an old post. But I would not try this on an expensive fish. Even places like public aquariums dont deploy such methods. Sorry but it sounds nice in theory. But ive never ever lost a fish doing a drip method with a airhose. And people i know who collect very fish would never do this either. You try this on a sensitive ray and it will be lost for sure. Perhaps doing a small small squirt of AmQuel+ and NovAqua in the bag to deal with the amonia is fine. Then do a drip w. an airhose etc. But to dump an expensive fish of into a tank like that noway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store