ADDING A CANISTER FILTER TO A SUMP FILTER

Gary_Gilbert

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
Cathedral city
Is it a good idea to add a canister to my sump filter? Was thinking of adding a marineland 350 with the polisher cartridge in it. I also can see millions of tiny air bubbles in my water.Kind of makes the water look cloudy.Any thoughts on how to stop this?

ricksreef

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2010
Denton TX
Sounds like your getting air somehow. Mine does that when it sucks air from a wand I have. Move your inlet maybe

Sent from my Xoom using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Gary_Gilbert

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
Cathedral city
No inlet.All I am running right now is the sump. Through the over flows,filter pads,bio balls and sponges. Then into the return pump area to be sent back into the tank.

Gary_Gilbert

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
Cathedral city
Bubble trap??? No. This sump filter set up is all new to me. I have always used hang on tank and/or canister filters. I will take pics tonight and try to upload them.

Gary_Gilbert

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
Cathedral city
It seems to be a very basic design. 3 inch tall pad box over a large bio ball box. Then over a partition into the pump return area. I have sponges between the pad/bio box and the partition.

Crazyfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
BC, Canada
I don't see a problem with adding a canister to a sump. You can also connect a UV sterilizer to the canister to get proper flowrates through it to get certain levels of sterilization. As for micro bubbles u can try and modify your sump and add a bubble trap before the last chamber where your return is. Also try and minimize water agitation in the return chamber ie water falling. This will eliminate micro bubbles.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ricksreef

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2010
Denton TX
I run a 40 breeder sump and a fx5 canister. The sump is good and all I just needed more. I thought you were getting bubble from your canister. Do you have a filter sock on your intake? That will help a lot with reducing agitation.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store