adding a eheim 2026 to a established tank

ahfu25

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2006
NYC
Ok heres the deal I went out hunting for a mag 5 pump and at a lfs I saw the eheim 2026 just sitting there all lonely so I bought it (there goes my lunch money for a month)
I want to put it on my 75 gallon that already has 2 fluval 404's running on there. I want to add on the eheim and eventually (soon hopefuly) take down the 2 fluvals. My question is How long should i leave the eheim running before removing the 2 fluvals??? Dont want to kill my 2 retic rays. they will be going in a 220 soon and i dont want them to die:(

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Personally I would transfer some of the media from the fluval into the eheim, not a lot, but some. That will seed the filter faster. I also would leave one 404 on the tank along with the 2026, but that is just preference, I like higher turnover rates.

brettrotchell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2006
Oakville
if you seed the filter with old media , you could take off the old filter in one month that will give the 2026 lots of time to get ready , everything should be fine after that . one month is probabley to long but why chance it . i would wait at least one month .

ahfu25

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2006
NYC
brettrotchell;580795; said:
if you seed the filter with old media , you could take off the old filter in one month that will give the 2026 lots of time to get ready , everything should be fine after that . one month is probabley to long but why chance it . i would wait at least one month .
i was thinking about that time frame so I'll take advise from both, seed it with media from fluval and leave it on for a month. Thanx fellas

ahfu25

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2006
NYC
I was thinking about returning it for the 2028 but then i see the 2217 for less and its rated for a bigger tank. What should I do???

Dominuslive

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
Iowa
Keep all of them and buy the 2217. Keeping Rays in the 220 later you will want both eheims on it for reliabilty, then you still have the 404'2 for the 75. Plus you know you want another tank................Damn MTS.

fishmaven

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2006
Houston, Tx
www.fishmaven.net
THe 26 and the 28 turn the same flow. With the 28 there's more media so more time between cleaning. The 17 is about the same as the 26. Ones round and the media is NOT contained in trays. The 26 and 28 use the trays allowing you to keep the media seperate. OMO, the best value is the 17.

About your first question, if you'd don't have immediate plans for the other fuval I'd use all three on the tank. That way the bio stays alive in all three and available for use anywhere you want. The tank should stay cleaner and look better too.

ahfu25

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2006
NYC
With the 220 Im gonna use a wet/dry. Im gonna give one of my 404's to my father in law and the other to my homeboy. i want to eliminate the fluvals and just use one filter and All i been reading in the forums is how eheim is one of the best.Thats why I bought the 2026 but today i went to get some decor for my 55 and saw the 2028 abd started havibg second thoughts about the 26

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store