Adding plants in a tank that had aquarium salt

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I have been using aquarium salt for a month, and now want to add plants. Is there a way to remove the salt? Lots of water changes?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
How much salt have you added? And i take it you dont mean aquarium salt that turns a tank into a S/W tank...

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
When I had an outdoor pond, I used to throw in salt to help control algae growth during the summer months. After a few backwashes of the filter, algae growth resumed, so definitely perform water changes. When you feel it's ready, buy the cheapest plants and test the water.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
When I had an outdoor pond, I used to throw in salt to help control algae growth during the summer months. After a few backwashes of the filter, algae growth resumed, so definitely perform water changes. When you feel it's ready, buy the cheapest plants and test the water.
Thanks, I have lots of hornwort. But is that too tough? It's hard to kill lol.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Some plants will be more sensitive than others. Gotta try to find out. I understand you not wanting to start fresh with having to cycle the tank but with time, conditions will be right.
Thanks, yeah I don't want to start over. I'll give it time and start with hardy plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store