Adding plants to an aquarium??

Mike667

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2018
Hey guys,
Following up on my earlier threads, I ended up selling the red belly piranhas. And purchased 1 black piranha 3 months ago. I didn’t think this through, but now I want to add live plants to the aquarium? What would be the best way? With the red bellies, I was okay with putting my hand in the tank to do water changes, move around decor, etc. I’m just worried about the black piranha. Any suggestions...

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Toss an Anubis nana in and see what happens. If it gets left alone then yay! If not then :(. Try pothos coming out of the top if you just want greenery. Try tall lucky bamboo if you want something green in the tank. Tall enough that the leaves aren't in the water. I can send you a few links to tall bamboo.

Mike667

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2018
Do the black piranhas destroy the plants too? Lucky before I placed the order then... I was going to order hornwort, amazon sword, and java fern? Don’t go with the order until I test one out?

Reactions: tlindsey

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Maybe affix Java Fern, Java Moss or Anubias to rocks or driftwood. Carefully & quickly lower into the tank. You also might rig up a pair of long planting sticks and try and poke the roots into the substrate.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Don't go ordering $100 worth of plants before you try it out with $10 worth of hardy plants.

Mike667

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2018
Lol, how did you know the cost of my order? (Seriously)
I’ll go to a local pet store and test out a plant like you mentioned. See how it goes first.

Mike667

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2018
As an update. I added the plants to the aquarium yesterday. Kind of a quick job as I wanted to put the plants in and get my hand/arm out of the tank as quick as I could. I will try and update with a picture in the next couple of days.
But the black piranha seems to be a lot more active now rather than staying in the corner all day.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Do yourself a favor and get some gloves. They have them that go up your forearm for not a lot of dough.

Mike667

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2018
I do have those long gloves. I tried using them at first, but felt it awkward and couldn’t use the tools to properly plant them

No pics as an update. Weeks later, update, he twore the majority of them up, all except the Java fern and amazon swords are still intact. The rest are all floating, but growing fairly decently anyways. They will remain floaters for now, until I get another tank, I will remove the floaters from the top and insert into the other tank(before I put in an aggressive fish first again )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store