Adding Salt?

ArowannaLover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Earth
Hello MFKs... I have a 180g tank with six small discus and one 3" Datnoid.

I want to know if it is true that I can't add any salt in the tank if I have fish with no scales? I plan to get some Clown Loach and some nice Pleco. Please advise, thanks!

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I used aquarium salt for over 5 years with clown loaches and never had a problem. I eventually got lazy and stopped buying salt and having had a problem without it either.

Calihawk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
I only use salt when one of my fishes is badly injured...

I notice that it slowly eats (wears out) the silicone seal in the tank.

Oh, yeah, and salt is fine for all. Even snails live through salt. Plecos, loaches, lol even protozoans.

ArowannaLover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Earth
I heard that fish in general will be more happy if add a little salt into the tank... I just want to conform if this is true and all my fish is not ill.

I plan to add 1 table spoon of aquarium salt for every 5gal. Is that a right dose?

Kingst3r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
NJ
Yes, you can. I wouldnt add that much though if they arnt sick and your just looking to make them happy.

ArowannaLover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Earth
No my fish are not sick... I just want to add salt to make them more comfortable. So how much salt do I need to add? One table spoon for 5gal or 10gal?

How much salt do I need to add just to make my fish feel more comfortable and more happy in the tank guys?

3dees

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 23, 2010
Chicago suburb
you will not make your discus happier with salt. I use a little when one of my wilds scratches itself on the wood, and only for a couple of days. salt in a healthy tank is another old myth. imo, you should never add anything unless there is a specific need. it seems like adding salt is going to make YOU more comfortable. save your money. your fish will thank you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store