Adding Scrubbbies to a HOB?

Scrubbies submersed in a HOB?

• Total voters

terrypowerz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2006
Westfield, IN
Just looking for thoughts as to the effectiveness of adding pot scrubbies to a HOB filter for additional bio filtration...
In the case I am looking at..it would be a Whisper filter currently using the biobag only without the sponge "Triad" filter.
(Yes I know...compared to AC, Emperor, etc. Whispers are weenie filters... not trying to open that can of worms!;) )
LOL!

vanilla__gorilla__

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
at work
I would just use the bio max that comes with it

RTCatz;672535; said:
i would personally use two sponge blocks and fill the rest up with seachem matrix
2 spong blocks fills up my ac110 how would you ad matix in to a filter that is aready full?

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
For the whispers you will be hard pressed. The water will just flow around most of the media, and you will have a dead spot in the chamber where most of your media is. I have tried this with various forms of media, none have been successful.

JAK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2006
mn
i use a combo of scrubbies and bio max in my ac 110s no sponges.works well for me...not sure about the whisper filters.

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
even if it DOES flow around the material it still gives a place for the bacteria to hold onto and couldn't hurt IMHO
I was thinking of filling the one I have in my turtle tank with Ehiem's bio ball material.

big train

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Chesapeake V.A.
I have used scrubies in my HOB's since i heard about them right here and it has improved my water conditions.Evan if the scrubbies are not in the direct water flow the bacteria still has a place to grow and is just as effective as the bacteria growing on the glass imo.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I replace the charcoal with either scrubbies or porous rock/pottery frags.

Lil_Stinker

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 30, 2006
State of Emergency
I have a sponge covering the intake of my HOB in the nursery tank, a couple scrubbies in the HOB itself.. they have a bunch of growth on them & (all 3) can be rinsed one at a time as needed, reducing loss of bb

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
RTCatz;672535; said:
i would personally use two sponge blocks and fill the rest up with seachem matrix

media bag full of matrix is what I would do

I have a media bag of Purigen right now though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store