adjusting ph with my rays in the tank???

rogan josh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2009
blackburn
crushed oyster shell will slowly bring the ph up to around 7 i have used this for 3 years without any problems add to the sump my ph is 6.8 from tap and the oyster shell has never raised the ph above this , you will need to top this up after awhile as the calcium in the shell gets used up

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
my Ph always used to drop slowly in my old tank if i didn't do 2 water changes per week then it would drop from 7 to 5.5 it could be because you are over stocked as i was

the way i got around it was doing 2 water changes per week this kept the Ph between 7 and 6.5

5.5 is low

and any ammonia is not good

jwolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
ozzie land
i only have 3 pbass 2 motoros and a eel in 800 leters??? and i do 2 water changes a week. how many ostar shells should i add im preatty keen on this idea???

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
The low pH is causing your tank to be unable to cycle. This can be quite a tricky process as you already have fish in the tank and can't raise the pH without risking making the ammonium form back to toxic ammonia. This is the only time where I suggust getting those ammonia removing media.

1. Take that log out and soak it in a tub of boiling water to leech out all the tannin first.
  2. Add ammonia remover media, test the water daily until there is zero ammonia in the tank.
  3. Then slowly do water changes over a period of time to raise the pH to about 6.8~7.0.
  4. Check daily to ensure that the ammonia remover is doing it's job.
  5. Once your pH is achieved, add Stability to kickstart the cycle and remove the ammonia pads.
  6. Dose 5x Seachem Prime daily until ammonia reach zero. Then add back the log in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store