Adonis pleco 2" dead

Glu11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2017
Hey guys,

Looking for help here on what may have caused the issue. I bought an Adonis from LFS this Saturday. Did a 30% water change and treated tank to make sure all levels were good before introducing the Adonis. Have a 50G tank that houses 5 ghost shrimp and one 12" sailfin pleco (gibbiceps). The gibbiceps stays in my koi pond out back during the summer but comes in for the winter each year.

Adonis looked healthy when picking up from LFS. Two days later he was floating around sideways and upside down, had one burst of energy where he shot around a bit and then bit the dust. I introduced him to the tank over about an hour of slowly adding water from the tank into his holding bag while floating on top of the tank (normal process I do when transporting my koi, other pleco etc...)

After I pulled him out I tested water again and all parameters are good (nitrate,nitrites, chlorine, etc...). Even went and bought a different ammonia testing kit just to make sure and came back at 0 ppm as well.

I did notice his belly looked a little swollen. You can see that in the uploaded photo as well as my gibbiceps just chilling in the tank. Any advice or ideas you guys have to offer will help as I'm planning on going back to my LFS this weekend to try and exchange and want to be as well informed as possible, because right now I can't figure out if I did something on my end that would have caused this. Thanks guys and gals.

20170417_202026.jpg

20170417_202047.jpg

20170417_201411.jpg

Last edited:

Dis

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2010
Hamilton, ON
Looks like he had an internal blockage, also called bloat. If you exchange make sure the next ones stomach isn't enlarged like that one.

Can be caused from over feeding and a few other reasons. I've had a few plecos get it and it's very difficult to treat unless you notice it super early.

Reactions: Glu11

Glu11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2017
Thanks for the reply Dis. Do you think this is something that was already an issue when I picked him up or could it have happened in the 48 hours he was housed in my tank?

I never saw him eat, but I did drop 1/4 of a wafer by him inside his hiding spot he had been in since being housed in the tank (about an hour before I saw him floating). Wafer was untouched. In that same time span the gibbiceps had 1 algae wafer. That was the only food that has gone in the tank since he has been introduced.

Dis

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2010
Hamilton, ON
Most likely already an issue. Don t think it can develop that fast.

It shouldn't be a problem with all the fish if the store has more for you to choose from. When you go buy it have the store put him up against the glass so you can see its stomach

Glu11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2017
Most likely already an issue. Don t think it can develop that fast.

It shouldn't be a problem with all the fish if the store has more for you to choose from. When you go buy it have the store put him up against the glass so you can see its stomach
Ok thanks. Hopefully I can work something out with them. Really bummed as it was a beautiful fish.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Sometimes new fish just can't handle all the stress of moving around from tank to tank. It's somewhat common for a new fish to die within the first few days. This has happened to me before. That's why some fish stores guarantee their fish for a few days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store