Advice needed Rainbow Cichlid fry?

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
Just got a batch of Rainbow Cichlid. Anyone wished to offer some advice on the best way to raise the fry it would be greatly appreciated. The rainbow is a new fish to me. 4799F78E-7DB6-4228-BBF1-696E2CD521B7.png

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
I'm pretty sure they're great parents, but if you want you can raise them yourself. Just feed them newly hatched brine shrimp in a grow out tank.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
You can go two ways.

Let's the parents do it
Obvious enough here, you can still supplement the fry diet with bbs or I used Hikari first bites. You will want the algae to grow in the parents tank. They will herd the fry around the tank to graze on it.
You be mom and dad
Take them out and raise them yourself in another tank. You will have to do all the feeding here.
Either or will work.

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
You can go two ways.

Let's the parents do it
Obvious enough here, you can still supplement the fry diet with bbs or I used Hikari first bites. You will want the algae to grow in the parents tank. They will herd the fry around the tank to graze on it.
You be mom and dad
Take them out and raise them yourself in another tank. You will have to do all the feeding here.
Either or will work.
So you think it is best if I set up a 20 Long Transfer out 20 gallons of tank water from the tank there in now and transfer them Via siphon then transfer the parents. There in a community tank I fear they would make a nice meal to some.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
If your worried about the fry and want to keep them moving is an idea. Tho I wouldn't use used tank water. But a filter from the tank they was in, or some of the bio-rings from the old tank filter into filter of new tank. The beneficial bacteria don't like in the water but on surfaces.

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
If your worried about the fry and want to keep them moving is an idea. Tho I wouldn't use used tank water. But a filter from the tank they was in, or some of the bio-rings from the old tank filter into filter of new tank. The beneficial bacteria don't like in the water but on surfaces.
Thank you. I was thinking more to use the old water to ease the stress of acclimation. Solid point regardless.

Reactions: Jexnell

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
Thank you. I was thinking more to use the old water to ease the stress of acclimation. Solid point regardless.
I was also going to transfer a sponge filter I have hidden in my tank for quick exchanges.

Reactions: Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store