Advice needed: Tank Building

GrandVapors

Feeder Fish
May 2, 2019
Advice needed:

So I picked up 4 29"x90"x 1/2thick (12mm) Tempered glass sheets today. The original plan was to make a 10' x 16' L shaped tank. Well that glass ruined that plan.

So second idea:
10ft wide x ?__? (front to back) X 5ft high tank. The glass will be set high on that size.
Every internal foot front to back = 342 Gallons (This is figured in based on wall thickness).

Filtration will not be an issue long term. We will gladly make a filter to fit any size.

Also I would not be opposed to running a brace (or 2) down the middle using a 4x4 if done in wood.

I am thinking sandwich all 4 sheets of glass to have them as a single viewing window. Because it will be tempered glass we will be channeled the edges of the glass will not be at risk getting bumped by a random rock.

The glass will 4'-6" from the top. The plan is to have mostly bottom fish. 2 Tiger Shovel nose catfish, 2 Red Tail cat fish and likely 2 Stingrays.

We can make the tank out of wood or Concrete.

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Well you should use annealed glass, not tempered. Secondly im not sure about sandwiching the 4 glass sheets together like that, you may not be able to see through it very well and the viewing panel may be harder to install.

GrandVapors

Feeder Fish
May 2, 2019
Installing no matter how hard is not a problem. (I have a contractor that does the hard stuff for me). As for Glass choices it is a little late. The price was right on the glass so we grabbed it. I am now thinking separate from the frame also 2 vertical center supports. The main reason for the tank is so when "Kat Man Do" gets bigger he has a home and does not have to get dropped off at a fish rescue. I figure he is 12" now and If I start him a permanent home now I will not be that guy saying Oh now what do I do? I can not afford a bigger tank, no one will take him, I guess he will live in the lake. (I hate those people)

I just looked on a site (can`t post a link yet do not want to be seen as a spammer) and got this result.
Now with this in mind I guess I have to figure out the pressure at the center of the glass.
This glass shelf or table top can hold approximately: 4331.25 lbs. (this was with supports at 3ft)

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
A steel frame (2 part epoxy coated) to hold the 4 tempered glass sheets will work. If concreting, embed the steel frame into formwork. You can have the glass go higher than the water depth if you use drains so it can't overfill past the safety limit.

Last edited:

GrandVapors

Feeder Fish
May 2, 2019
A steel frame (2 part epoxy coated) to hold the 4 tempered glass sheets will work. If concreting, embed the steel frame into formwork. You can have the glass go higher than the water depth if you use drains so it can't overfill past the safety limit.
We start the build next month. The glass is still just sitting and waiting (shocked someone has not broken it yet). I have some random shelving metal by the glass and was thinking id like you said adding a metal frame in as I set the glass in. I have determined I want to brace the center also. There will be Braces on top running front to back to limit front panel flex also.

What started as a tank for Kat Man Do (small Tiger Shovel Nose Catfish) has turned in to a community tank build for him, 3 Channel Cat fish, 3 Large Mouth Bass, a 18" Pleco (once there is plenty of plants and algae, for now he can stay in the 135), and Bluegills.

As for (What is assumed at this point) final design will be layered 2x4`s for the sides and back, the Front of course will have the glass but also done in 2x6 since it will not have a wall to help brace it. It will be roughly 10x12x5 deep. The glass will be set as close to the top as we can get it. After it is all framed in we will come back and put the walls in place (glass also) and once all looks secure we will then pour the base with concrete. Next stage will be fiberglassing all the seams then cross braces at the top, from there Pond Sealer.

I am honestly excited about the build but not looking forward to the work. lol So much work to make sure 1 fish can grow his full potential.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store