advice on adding another cichlid

JeffC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Kalispell, Montana
HI all,

I've got a pair of black convicts, pair of pink convicts, and two male firemouths and would like to add one more fish....looking for ideas and why or why not. Green terror, Jack Demp, ??????

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
I have a feeling that once a pair of convicts establishes itself the other fish will be gonners.

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
sandtiger;737863; said:
I have a feeling that once a pair of convicts establishes itself the other fish will be gonners.

Even if they're not goners, the others will all be pushed into one little corner of the tank (or at the top in a corner) and be severely stressed. You really need to decide if you want to breed convicts or have a community tank and choose the fish accordingly.

JeffC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Kalispell, Montana
Okay, lets go this way: and maybe i will change some fish around. I have a 55 now. What would be suggested for a central american tank knowing I will move them to a 120 (or 125) later as they grow? Maybe I will put my convicts (or at least one of the sexes) in a different tank for breeding purposes later. What would be a good mix for a 120 (or 125) down the line (like at christmas with my christmas bonus money :).

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
The two pairs of convicts will tolerate each other and keep to their own territory. The other fish are in for a stressful ride once the fry come. keep the 2 pair of cons in the 55g they will do fine(I have 3 pair in a 75g). I would not add any other fish and you may need to move the Firemouths.

As far as dithers go, well your soon gonna have a crap load of fry, so theres your dithers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store