Advise needed: ideal geophagus for a 125 gallon

DonnyB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
Would love to get some advise from the experts. If you had an empty 125 gallon 6’ tank and wanted to stock it with the most showy South American / geo theme what would you stock it with?

I have a 3d background which I may or may not install as it takes up space... if that would limit my ability to keep something special I won’t use it.

Looking to stock it third week in March. Cycling two canisters for it on my oscar and Midas tanks.

I love the idea of a medium sized group. 6-8 Red headed tapas along with a single threadfin acara is my most mature idea. Willing to spend some money and will be buying online... hopefully with some size to them.

Any thoughts?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Ref tapajos will do well.
Gourami Swami Gourami Swami duanes duanes

Reactions: decoy50

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
If this is a repeat post, please refrain from doing that. Can just update the older thread if not getting enough replies, so more people will se it.
Too lazy to go check if it's a repeat right now so I'll give my advice. Tapajos red heads would do great. Threadfin acara may or may not bully them. Pretty much any geophagus will be fine, group size will depend on size of the species chosen. I'd let the geos be the largest, dominant group in the tank, and then stock with some other smaller SA cichlids like a group of bolivian rams. With a bunch of tetras as well.

Reactions: RD.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Was about to say... didn’t I ask this a week or 2 ago? DonnyB DonnyB I’m currently planning on Geophagus Mirabilis for my 125. Redhead Tapajos would be good as well.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I have a similar setup. 4 Oscars and 2 pbass. 3 Silver dollars. And 2 jurupari. I love the jurupari. Colorful, active and help keep the tank clean.
I'm getting another larger tank and I have the same thoughts on the 3D backgrounds. I am tending to not get one because it makes the tank smaller. I think these backgrounds are great for African setups or very large tanks for monster fish. On the new tank I plan to get some larger type of Geos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store