Advise on pond for 2 baby koi

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
Hello, My name is Adam and I will be making a Koi pond in my backyard :) This is my first ever outdoor pond/pond in general. I want to just start off with 2 and that's it. The reason is A: I want to get used to it before I get overwhelmed and B: I am building a new house in a few months so I will be moving and rebuilding a new bigger pond. I need some help.
I want a nice place for my 2 Japanese baby koi's for the purpose of only maybe 5 months

Should it be underground or above ground? It seems above ground would be a little easier to make but I like the idea of it being in the ground a bit better.

I'm doing my research but I want some advise too :)

What would you suggest for size/depth/width and materials other then bed lining if it is above ground what would be the "shell/case"?

Any websites that have pumps and all that or the names?

SHORT:
Will be getting 2 Koi fish - Need advise on size and equipment.

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
If you are planning on moving soon, an above ground pond would be the way to go. If selling your house, potential buyers might not want the maintenace of a pond.

4x8x4 is a good size and lumber and plywood is readily avail. in those lengths.
I would buy used equipment off craigslist or similar. Save your money for the next pond and go big and start fresh.
The liner used for your first pond can always be used down the road for a bog or stream to feed the main pond.

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Ok, don't shout at me but if your thinking of building this as a short term thing then my advise is don't. Wait until the new house is up and running then build a proper koi pond if that is where you want this all to end up. Now for the general advise on what to do. I'll split this into two A and B. A being the perfect(and expensive) way to go and B is what will be fine for the general hobbyist.

Depth:

A: 8 foot is perfect
B: as long as the you have good weather then 4 foot is fine

Width and length:

A: you want at least 8x8 foot
B: doesn't really matter as long as the fish have good space to swim.

Above or below:

A: personal preference, at this stage you want at least one bottom drain(depending on the size) and a skimmer line to the filters, you want to add insulation to all sides and below the pond and get it all done with fiberglass.
B: again you can get away without using insulation and use a liner but you should still install a bottom drain and a skimmer line.

For there go out and find a local koi club and see what other do regarding filters etc. I've said this a million times but if your filters work then your going to recommend them, if your a dealer then your going to recommend what you are selling, go out in the real world and see what works out of the showroom.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store