Aequidens metae and/or diadema

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
If Jeff says they can hit 10" I guess they can I've never seen one that big but again I didn't keep them for years so yeah I guess they could.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
References I have list 15cm for sp. JH and 20cm for Metae ... keep in mind most stuff you find on the net is wrong, given these species are so easy to misidentify.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
If Jeff says they can hit 10" I guess they can I've never seen one that big but again I didn't keep them for years so yeah I guess they could.
I know a lot of the Aequidens species profiles I have read all seem to say 4-6", which makes me wonder if a lot of the profiles are inaccurate.

I think that settles it for me. The metae will be a bit bigger than I am looking for, so I will get the stalsbergi and 'Jenaro Herrera'. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andicca

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Plainview NY
The diadema I posted the picture of is I would say about 9 inches, never took him out to measure, the other one is a bit smaller, I'd say 7-8. I would think metae, tetramerus ect would grow about the same. They are about 2 years old.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
The diadema I posted the picture of is I would say about 9 inches, never took him out to measure, the other one is a bit smaller, I'd say 7-8. I would think metae, tetramerus ect would grow about the same. They are about 2 years old.
Awesome. Looks like Rapps is right on with his sizes (at least for the 'JH').

I had also read Aequidens can scuffle a bit, but they will probably be a dream compared with what the A. stalsbergi are going to dish out. LOL

Andicca

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Plainview NY
Here are a couple of shots I just took with my phone. Trying to get shots of the smaller one, he's not cooperating lol.

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1393463143594.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1393463166638.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1393463194857.jpg

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
Yesterday I received three 3" A. metae from Rapps. Not the greatest photos - they were taken shortly after the fish arrived, but I'm really impressed with the colors on these guys. They'll be housed in a 120 gallon tank for the time being, along with some red-head Tapajos, a dwarf pike, and a Krobia xinguensis.

IMG_8870 copy.JPG

IMG_8875 copy.JPG

IMG_8878 copy.JPG

IMG_8870 copy.JPG

IMG_8875 copy.JPG

IMG_8878 copy.JPG

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I made up my mind earlier today to raise metae and Jenaro Herrera until I got an email back from Rapps saying his metae can hit 10" while the 'JH' only reach 8"!! If that is true, I will be getting A. stalsbergi and A. 'Jenaro Herrera'.

I know I have asked this before, but do metae really only reach 5-6"? I have seen video labeled as metae that look pretty big (8"+). Is Rapps thinking of a different species or is it possible they get that big?

So it continues to be confusing...

I've known someone with metae that were definitely metae and they were 5-6 inches (male/female) and he said they were peaceful. He also had diadema, which he said were a little larger but also ok with other fish of reasonable size. I've seen other people have metae get 6,7 inches-- forums where I was a member, not just googling. On the other hand, I've seen posts where metae are the bigger fish... no, diadema are bigger-- metae are more peaceful... no, diadema are more peaceful. Chalked some of that up to people confusing them, but I'm wondering if ones collected from different spots grow different? if it's simple as different growth in different tank conditions? or is it simply a question of individual fish get different sizes and it just depends on your fish or their particular parents?

I've seen that personally with green terrors. I've had some gold saum males top out about 8" and be solid but not beasts, but also had other gold saum males get 10" and turn out to be real brutes. Similar with severums, have had some garden variety 8 inch severums and then had them be 12" and really thick. Also, I've seen a lot of people say their red heads geos get 6" and that's it. But I've had them over 7" and I think the guy I got my original fry from had one 8".

Wonder if that's what's going on here with metae/diadema/JH?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store