Afraid of snakes?

Why are(were) you afraid of snakes?

• Natural fear of an unconventional creature

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Conditioned fear by family/friends

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Traumatic experience as a child

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Religious aversion ("snakes are evil")

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Cultural/ethnic fear

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

rhinod56

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2006
Illinois
need more choices, but picked the closest related one I guess...
interesting idea for class though :)

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
when i wass about four years old my 2 cousins, 7 and 14, would chase me around with a very mildly poisonous snake. they used to corner me and let its tongue flicker over my face and told me not to move because if i did the snake would bite me and i would die.

so since i can really remember i have been terrified of snakes. growing up on a farm i came across many snakes. i have done a lot of research on snakes since my teens and know that they are not nearly as danagerous as they may seem. i will handle them with a LONG stick, but will not touch them with my bare hands. i have touched a snake once in my life when i was 14 and started crying when it wrapped around my fingers. it was a very young python, maybe 8-10".

even though i knew a full 100% that it could not harm me, the mere thought of the snake touching me was enough trauma. so i love snakes and know how usefulthey are but i am scared to the point that i still occasionally have the odd nightmare about snakes.

hope that is useful to you.

Ophiuchus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2006
AL
www.ShiningSnakes.com
rhinod56;673678; said:
need more choices, but picked the closest related one I guess...
interesting idea for class though :)
what was your reason? I thought the choices were pretty broad, but if there's another unique one, it'll help me when I officially start the project.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
MDC_Leviathan;673325;673325 said:
I should have said this sooner, but figured I wouldnt need to. Guess I was wrong....

I'm not here to discuss why people shouldn't be afraid of snakes; I'm not posting this to "recruit" anyone. I just want to know how many people feel a certain way. So if you never were afraid of snakes, please don't post anything. Not trying to be an arse, and nothing personal...it just doesn't help me any.
Sorry, I have removed that option, I did not realize it would sidetrack your poll, this however might mean that those who already voted might have to do so again. If I remember right the responses were 2 for #1, 2 for#2, and 1 for #3.
I am also moving this to the lounge as you will get a wider response and it will be less "pro-reptile" biased than in this forum.

Ophiuchus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2006
AL
www.ShiningSnakes.com
That's fine. I didn't make it clear the first time. I mean, I only want people who have been afraid of snakes to vote. If they never were afraid, then I don't need their votes at all.

And thanks for relocating it to a better area.

pophead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2006
edmonton, AB. Canada
only afraid of the poisenous and very large constricting snakes. been within 4ft. of a sleeping rattler in the wild without fear. even caught a garder(sp?) snake in a ravine by my house. it bit me, which was wierd.

X Red_Devil X

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2007
Kentucky
I've been scared of snakes, but my family hates them, i always have to get them out of our gardens, i've been bitten by a copperhead, and still dont dislike them, lol

X Red_Devil X

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2007
Kentucky
X Red_Devil X;673918; said:
I've been scared of snakes, but my family hates them, i always have to get them out of our gardens, i've been bitten by a copperhead, and still dont dislike them, lol

I've NEVER **** (mis type)

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
Why are people afraid of snakes? They are awesome!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store