Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

African Arowana

Discussion in 'Other Monster Fish' started by Ash_water, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Ash_water

Ash_water Exodon

Ashan Fernando
      Monday at 1:51 AM
      Hi All,

This is my very first post in this thread and I am excited.

To be honest I am somewhat experienced fish keeper and kept all sorts of fish.

Recently I purchased about a 3 inch African Arowana.
      I feel I'm not experienced enough to handle this fish at this age.
      I know this is a very demanding fish to raise and I think the challenge is worth it considering the end result.

Therefore I would be grateful if all expert African Arowana keepers help me on this.
      I also browsed through existing threads and gathered a lot of valuable info.

In addtion, if anyone can asnwer these questions it would be highly appreciated.

1) How long can a 3-4 inch African Arowana last wirhout feeding?

2) Is frozen brine shrimp and crushed Massivore pellets be enough with sponge filteration?

3) Are African Arowanas bottom feeders or can they feed on water surface as well?

4) How much food can a 3 inch African Arowana consume in 1 meal?

Thats all for now. Ty guyz!!!

tlindsey likes this.
    2. Hendre

Hendre Lives in a hut
      Staff Member

Hendre
      55 minutes ago
      Hi and welcome :)

It shouldn't go more than a few days without food at this size, they don't store much fat and need constant feeding

Should be. Can add frozen krill pr bloodworm too if you want. Just keep up on water changes

They filter feed and eat all over if I recall correctly.

This I don't really know.

All this info is what I've gathered on MFK, @Josh's Fish@Josh's Fish made a very nice video on these fish:

Good luck! :)

Ash_water and tlindsey like this.
    3. tlindsey

tlindsey Silver Tier VIP

Thomas Lindsey Sr.
      41 minutes ago
      https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/baby-african-arowana-feeding.250203/

Welcome aboard:)

I think they were once believed to be filter feeders at one time but not certain here is another thread.

Ash_water likes this.
    4. Josh's Fish

Josh's Fish Piranha

Josh Pickett
      Yesterday at 8:23 AM
      Hi, most has already been covered, but I'll go in to detail a bit more :)

As said, due to not holding any fat reserves at this time, they will become lethargic and die within a matter of days (sometimes hours) as they are still incredibly active looking for food.
      They need a near constant supply of food. In the wild, they have an abundance of micro creatures and detritus they can feast on, whereas in the aquarium that is limited, so we have to keep on top of this unfortunately.

Yeah should be fine, just clean the sponge in tank water every day to every other day as the amount of food going in the tank will be substantial.

Mostly mid to bottom, however they will still feed off the surface, albeit at an awkward looking angle haha

Don't look at it like you're feeding it meals, as they constantly sift for food. They can only eat a very tiny amount, but the body utilises it and burns it off incredibly quickly, so shortly after they need to eat again. You need food to transfer to energy faster than the body uses the energy, this will help them gain size and fat. To do that though, you need to keep on top of feeding. Put in a couple cubes of brine shrimp. Monitor how fast it eats the food, don't worry if there's excess over an hour, it will be eaten. Then from there, work out if you need to add more or less every few hours.

They are filter feeders, but not exclusively. They have a filter feeding mechanism, but they also have a gizzard, meaning they can even consume things with a hard carapace, like some molluscs, crustaceans and even seeds. They do have a very thin esophagus though, so they are limited on the size of food they eat (which is why some believed them to be exclusive filter feeders). An African Arowana over 20 inch can easily eat whole small fish. Mine is around 20-21" and can now eat whole pellets and shrimp.

5. Ash_water

Ash_water Exodon

Ashan Fernando

Thank you very much :D

tlindsey likes this.
    6. Ash_water

Ash_water Exodon

Ashan Fernando
      Great. Thank you for the info.

At the moment, I have but of trouble trying to get my fish to eat a lot.
      When I give him/her brine shrimp and crushed pellets he/she takes few bites but does not completely clean the food from the tank.

Should I be worried?

7. Josh's Fish

Josh's Fish Piranha

Josh Pickett
      Yesterday at 8:23 AM
      That's quite unusual for an African Arowana, they're normally sifting through very often and readily accept anything. Might just be a case of not being worth the energy exerted sifting for ages for minimal food particles? You could presoak the pellets whole and place them in, that way all it does is juggle the soft pellets in its mouth til they break apart.

8. Ash_water

Ash_water Exodon

Ashan Fernando

Great!! Thanks to you guyz I manages to keep him alive till now. I got him last Saturday 7th April. For tomorrow its complete week. The fish is active and seems to be eating.

Also a 3 inch juvenile can't surive for a week if they don't get enough food right?