African butterfly fish diet concerns

Fishy-Botany

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
Hi all, new to the forum.
My butterfly fish used to love meal worms and crickets, but now she just ignores them shell also ignores freeze dried krill. She now only goes for freeze dried blood worms and flake food.
What floating foods have you found successful in feeding butterflyfish?
What types of pellets?

I ask because the freeze dried blood worms and flake food are nice and inexpensive but she doesn't eat all of her food. Even the smallest of portions. Which leads to too much waste.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
If she used to eat those other items mentioned then chances are she will again if she gets hungry enough.Also you can try the arowana sticks.

Fishy-Botany

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
I hope so, she was starting to grow a bit too. I'll look into the arowana sticks. Thank you

Fishy-Botany

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
She ate what petco calls small sized crickets. They are around 1/4 inch in size. She would also eat small sized meal worms that where 1 inch in length. She is around 3 1/2 to 4 inches in total length. I got her at 3 inches.
She now only shows interest in flake food or freeze dried bloodworms.

Unless the crickets can give her an intestinal parasite. I dont know what's the cause for her lack of appetite.
Thankyou for the interest.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
If it has access to what it prefers too frequently it will ignore the foods that are less desirable. I would venture to guess that it decided it gets flake and frozen enough that it doesn't have to eat something as difficult and time consuming. You could try offering the flake and blood worms less, the fish will most likely eat a cricket within days.

Fishy-Botany

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
Ive done that, and she didnt crack.
For now I've decided to leave her be and she'll eat when she eats. I just wish she'd eat more so that she would start to grow again.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My ABF didn't care for Aro sticks, I think they were to hard for the. I even tried breaking them in half. As long as the ABF is eating something wouldn't worry, try crickets every other week.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store