African Cichlid Antics

mchad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2017
So, have a full size dominant dragon blood peacock, 4 still growing blue dolphins, 4 yellow labs with 1 still growing, a little red empress male still growing, a red top zebra that is still growing, a bristlenose pleco still growing, and a Raphael cat still growing. 110 gallon tank. Lots of caves, rocks, sand substrate.

So, my red top zebra we only got a few months ago. He is an eating machine to the point that his stomach gets big and then eventually goes back to normal. Definitely not bloat. He just eats like the catfish. Anyways, from the way he carries himself, I thought maybe he could be king one day. One night, he is rearranging the sand like crazy in one of the corners. Very unusual for him. He was hard at work. Almost got to the very bottom and knocked one of the caves backwards. He also was chasing everyone except for the dragon blood. Everyone else was fair game. He has never shown extensive aggression towards all the other fish. I did not know if he was attempting to get ready for some type of mating. However, to my knowledge, he can't mate with anything in there. The only females in the tank are the yellow labs and blue dolphins. He only did this for one night and seems to be back to his normal self, but was just more curious what behavior was going on.

Also, just this morning, my male yellow lab does not seem to be doing well in my opinion. He looks like he always does. However, he did not eat this morning. I would say he's 2nd in command in the tank. The dragon blood and him somewhat ignore each other, but they also will get in boxer stance and weave in and out occasionally. I have never seen one successfully bite the other but it is quite the display when I do see it. He definitely seems to be ale to hold his own. I wasn't sure if a fight broke out last night. They do not fight with each other often. What more concerned me is he seems almost off balance. Something wasn't right with him. Checked his body, I did not see anything. He is a gorgeous yellow lab. Very feisty. I'm really worried he may not be alive when I get home, but I have no idea why. The water quality is healthy. Everyone else is healthy. Nothing is growing on him. Keeping my fingers crossed, but any insight would be appreciated.

mchad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2017
Update...yellow lab ate this morning. Seems to be back to his normal self. Chasing all the ladies again....

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store