African Rope Fish with Cichlids?! Can You Do It?

MonsterCichlids75

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2012
Boston, MA
Hey everyone I'm curious if i could keep 1 african rope fish with a male and female green terror cichlid in a 75 gallon tank. The green terror male is 4 inches and the female is 3.5 inches. The rope fish my LFS just got in are around 12-14 inches. Could i add one to the tank? I've kept senegal bichirs with certain south american cichlids on multiple occasions, but i've never had a rope fish before so i'm not sure if it will work this time. I've got plenty of rockwork and driftwood for the ropefish to lurk around in but im not susre if the Green Terrors will cause a problem with the rope fish once they got older. Just out of curiosity would this work better if i only had the male green terror? And i've heard that rope fish are social fish and like to be in groups...is this true?
Thanks everyone!

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
They like groups and as long as there isnt a huge size diffrence then you should me good. You should also give it places to hide .

Sent from my SGH-I317M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquaman_95

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Warner Robins Georgia
I've kept other species of bichirs, some as small as 1" with aggressive cichlids such as Convicts, Texas Cichlids, Severums, and they were fine. The cichlids tend to just nudge them around from time to time. Yesterday I bought a 1.5" Sengal, and he's fine. The cichlids pretty much ignore him. If I were you though, I'd make sure that if you were getting a rope fish or two, to have several hiding spots for them.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Get around 3 ropefish. Ropes are notorious escape artist and they can escape from the tiniest of gaps, even the filter outakes. Get a tight fitting lid for them.

NICOLAI

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2013
TEHRAN
It will work, i tried before & i had diferent species of polypterus icluding ropefish with diferent species of cichlids...there was no problem at all..my cichlid were more aggressive than green terror...i have a rope fish, endlicheri & albino senegalus right now & i'm keeping them with a stone fish & blood parrot chichlid....there is no problem....green terror is not so aggressive....but be aware that your tank be closed very good...because rope fish is skilful to scape....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store