African Tigerfish

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
I/m not familiar with the african tigerfish. How big do they get? what do the eat? Are they very aggresive? I would love to see some pics if anyone has any.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
Vittatus gets 2-3 feet long, Goliaths can get 6' long. They are not even remotely as aggressive as their pictures might portray them to be (like piranhas).

They are extremely active fish, and require much larger tanks than other fish of their own size. A grown vittatus warrants a 10'x5' tank, at LEAST. They really aren't suitable for aquariums.

tigerfangs

Candiru
MFK Member
May 5, 2005
Yes, ATFs are always active and extremely fast, agile swimmers which do require a lot of space to safely maneuevr.

A tank with a footprint of 8' x 4' and at least 2' will suffice for one Vittatus. Bigger is always better, but not necessary.

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
Really fun fish to watch if you have a big enough tank, they are very, very fast. When I feed my ATF, it is hard to see when he strikes b/c it is so fast, no other fish has a chance when the ATF is hungry. But non-aggresive, so far that is, he is only 12" long. Hey Tfangs havn't seen you for a while anywhere, whats up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store