Africans Looking Lethargic

AKKADIAN

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2018
Hi all,

I have slowly made a move (back) across to Africans after keeping Americans for several years.

At present, I have a 6ft x 2ft x 1.5ft tank (approx. 135G) tank with several (aprox 10-15) adult Haps and Peacocks. All fish were bought from breeders and looked healthy at the time.

For the first couple of weeks the fish seemed fine, however they are now looking sluggish and I have had two (2) fish die off.

I have tested my water parameters with the following results:
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate <= 40ppm

I did a test on the pH and realised that it is exceptionally low (for Africans), with the result being 6.1. I am not sure if this is what is causing this lethargy / sluggishness, as I have come across a lot of websites saying that pH is not so much of a big deal as long as it’s not constantly fluctuating.

I thought there might have been a bullying issue, however it seems as though the “tank bully” isn’t being his usual self.

The substrate is normal river sand (neutral pH), with drift wood decorations (may be causing the lower pH).

As for feeding, I feed very sparingly, if anything I am under feeding. I feed them a Hikari pellet and try to never over feed.

40% water change every week.

If anyone has any ideas what the issue might be I would appreciate you shedding some light.

Thanks

Reactions: Joshuakahan

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree, rift lake Africans evolve in pH 8+ so a pH of 6ish could be stressful, as it is quite far from their normal osmotic range.
The nitrates are also quite high.
If it were me, I'd be doing large frequent water changes with strongly buffered water at least twice per week, and add either aragonite to the substrate, and/or if your tap water is low in alkalinity, add a buffer such as baking soda, to the new water gradually.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
What is the pH and KH of your tap water?

I think the nitrates could also be better and would do a 50% water change and another tomorrow.

What symptoms did the ones that died show?

Anything on the living fish other than lethargy? Eating well? Feces thick and food colored? Fins and scales all intact?

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Hi all,

I have slowly made a move (back) across to Africans after keeping Americans for several years.

At present, I have a 6ft x 2ft x 1.5ft tank (approx. 135G) tank with several (aprox 10-15) adult Haps and Peacocks. All fish were bought from breeders and looked healthy at the time.

For the first couple of weeks the fish seemed fine, however they are now looking sluggish and I have had two (2) fish die off.

I have tested my water parameters with the following results:
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate <= 40ppm

I did a test on the pH and realised that it is exceptionally low (for Africans), with the result being 6.1. I am not sure if this is what is causing this lethargy / sluggishness, as I have come across a lot of websites saying that pH is not so much of a big deal as long as it’s not constantly fluctuating.

I thought there might have been a bullying issue, however it seems as though the “tank bully” isn’t being his usual self.

The substrate is normal river sand (neutral pH), with drift wood decorations (may be causing the lower pH).

As for feeding, I feed very sparingly, if anything I am under feeding. I feed them a Hikari pellet and try to never over feed.

40% water change every week.

If anyone has any ideas what the issue might be I would appreciate you shedding some light.

Thanks
My guess would be ph being too low, or possibly bloat, have you seen any white threadlike poop? Are they spitting food out or going up to it but not eating? I would take out the driftwood and add crushed coral and go with a rocky type of scape.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store