After 3 years fishes, a new (used) 180.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I would love to have some of those dart frogs.I guess they are no big deal to you since you probably see them all the time.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The dart frogs are everywhere near trees, but especially after a rain, or very early.
fullsizeoutput_1a3.jpeg
The cane toads come out as soon as it gets dark, and eat anything left over the the dogs dish, or also right after a rain they appear in the yard gobbling up bugs.
fullsizeoutput_3.jpeg
Now its the dry season so we don't either amphibians as much, but dry season means tarantula breeding time, and they all come out looking for dates, after dark.
fullsizeoutput_ae1.jpeg

ahud

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
I was down until the very last picture...holy crap that is a freaky spider.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Here''s the tank today, still leaks a bit during the hottest part of the day (when sun hits it full force), but after the half dozen earth quakes I guess that's to be expected ( just makes water changes easier).
fullsizeoutput_158d.jpeg
Stock is a dozen Andinoacara coeruleopunctatus (BTW, all fish are local caught by my friend Jose, a local cargo handler, on the ferry I use back-n-forth to the mainland).
fullsizeoutput_120f.jpeg
a local vampire crawdad (started with maybe a dozen, they fought until only 1 remained)
fullsizeoutput_14f3.jpeg
couple Roeboides scale eating tetras
fullsizeoutput_1561.jpeg
a Panamanian Pleco
fullsizeoutput_12cc.jpeg
and maybe (haven't seen it in a while) an Awous goby
fullsizeoutput_11de.jpeg

Last edited:

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Thanks for posting this. I have never seen this thread. Now I know what you look like!
I lived on Maui for a year. Your experience appears to be sort of like this ON STEROIDS.
I enjoy looking at all this wildlife & you tank.
Anyway I have to finish this thread! Feel free to bump anymore story/ threads you have!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Speak of the devil, after a month AWOL, the Awoaus made a brief appearance today next to the dirtiest wall of the tank.
fullsizeoutput_159e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_15b9.jpeg
Then one of the local agricultural guys stopped in and asked if I wanted some camarones for the tank, because they were starting to appear in the forest stream. He showed up with various sized shrimp so I put the tiniest in the tank as cichlid food, and the larger ones in the sump to help process detritus.
fullsizeoutput_15ad.jpeg
But along with the shrimp Gamboa had an almost 8" fish in the bucket, looking to be Eleotris picta, a sleeper. Maybe traveled here in the ballast of one of the ships passing thru the Panama canal.
fullsizeoutput_15b7.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_15af.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_15b8.jpeg

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I wish my Val would grow like that. I’m hardly keeping the last plant alive:(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store