Aggresive

Hatch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
USA
I assume peacock bass are agressive. Are they ok for a community?

Pangong_ilong

I want one too !
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
Fresh Meadow, NY
They are ok in a community as long as the fish you got don't fit in their mouth.

fishrmann2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2006
Wisconsin
They will beat up on other fish. They establish a hierarchy. So there will be a little fighting, but usually for dominance and territory.

And yes the other fish can't be smaller that the Pbass, or they might get eaten. They also have to keep up with a Pbass' growth rate. They grow very fast the first year!

blacktip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Cali
My two 10" monocs rarely bother any of my other fish in the tank. They do, however, squabble with each other. I'm pretty sure I have two males and after they eat, the larger individual spends a lot of time chasing the slightly smaller one around. I'm hoping to pick up 2 or 3 more in the next couple of months so that the one won't get picked on so much.

Every once in a while they'll nudge one of the oscars they share the tank with, but the slightly smaller oscars usually call their bluffs and chase them away.

For the most part, if it clearly can't fit in their mouth, they usually leave it alone.

fishrmann2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2006
Wisconsin
That one smaller one will most likely be picked on for ever. Even the addition of new Pbass won't stop it. Every school of Pbass has a picked on guy and all of them will pick on him.

blacktip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Cali
Except that now, the "smaller" one is actually the same size as the larger one. Perhaps someday he will turn the tables.

fishrmann2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2006
Wisconsin
That would be good! He might kill the bigger one! Just for all the crap he gave him! lol

michael

Tri-State Fish Hoarder
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2005
Dirty Jersey
Pangong_ilong said:
They are ok in a community as long as the fish you got don't fit in their mouth.
Tems, ocelleris, monos make great tankmates

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
I don't know much.. At ALL.. But from my veiw, it would seem they are only pictured agressive cause if it fits or even looks to fit..... It disappears.. And your Pbass looks fatter!! LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store